When I candle

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SarahFair, May 4, 2009.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Im on day 6 of some peafowl eggs I have. I have a low power cheap flashlight that Im using to candle the eggs. What I see is both ends of the egg are a little bit more see through and the in the middle there is a darker spot. When I turn the egg it follows it slowly. I dont see any veins but idk if the shell would to thick for that at this stage with such a low light flashlight

Does everything sound right?

2. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Dogwood Farm

Dogwood Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    A good strong flashlight makes all the difference. My hubby gave me his to use. Its very bright and small enough to shine up through a toilet paper roll. I set the egg ontop of the toilet paper roll be careful if its a small egg. I gave myself a heartattack almost. I just about lost an egg down through it. I have a couple eggs that the shell is very dark but the lighter shells you diffently can see the veins and movement. Before that I was using a weak light and really couldn't see much.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  4. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Neat link! Thanks!

5. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Yes there is deff something dark floating around in the egg. When I slowly turn it, it gravitates to the middle of the egg.
    Is this normal?

6. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Same thing this morning...

7. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    IDK, but I'm bumping this for ya, because I'm on day 4 and have the same question - I want to be sure to get rid of the duds before they explode! [​IMG]

8. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I am no expert - only on my first hatch. When I candled on day 7 that is what I was seeing - a sort of blob that seemed to move when I turned the egg. I did it again on day 10 and I had veins, moving hearts and definite egg sacs so going by that I would say you are ok.

9. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Quote:Yay! This is eggactly what im seeing!

10. metcalfmk

metcalfmk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    Love my chickies!! :

IDK, but I'm bumping this for ya, because I'm on day 4 and have the same question - I want to be sure to get rid of the duds before they explode! [​IMG]

Trust me, you will know if you have an exploder, before it goes off! The smell is really gross. If you notice a smell when you open the 'bator, just sniff each egg, and get rid of the ones that stink!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by