When I give away the roosters.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mediazeal, May 6, 2009.

1. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I have 3 week old chicks so I'm still in the planning, trying to find homes for roosters stage.
    One home I found for a Golden Cuckoo Maran cockerel I hatched, is a country home with hatchery purchased pullets.
    I'm assuming the hatchery chicks had some kind of misting with vaccine and egg injection. My chicks I hatched from eggs have no vaccines.
    So the question is..... are the vaccinated chickens dangerous to the unvaccinated little cockerel?
    Is any of the stuff they get vaccinated with going to infect the little guy?
    I don't want to doom these guys I'm giving away and need to know what to do for them.

thanks for you help.......
    Oh and if any one wants a Barnevelder cockerel or a Golden Penciled Hamburg cockerel, both from good lines..... I'm sure I have one for you.

2. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    I wouldn't think anything they were sprayed with would bother him. However, I STRONGLY urge you to urge whomever you are giving him to to quarantine him for a month. I lost a large amount of chicks and turkey poults last year because of hatchery chicks that apparently had cocci.

3. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Thanks. I would like to hear any protocol to follow and recommend as I try to find homes for these guys.

The first group of pullets the maran is going to join are grown and laying now. And he has not been exposed to anything in my house with his hatchmates. No other chickens or exposures.
    I'm sure he will be quarantined and then go through an introduction process. All advice is most welcome.

4. ilovechickens

ilovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    I received chicks from Welp hatchery and had them vaccanated, and two days later I added chicks that were from a private breeder and I just put them in with the other chicks and I have had no problems at all. I was going to separate them, but my brooders were full, they all got medicated food, I did not have one pasty butt, they are all striving, and they are 3 weeks old now. I am receiving some older birds today, they are 13 weeks old, and 5 weeks old, they will be together before the other's are added to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by