When I had sand in the coop she used the nest box just fine...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jenny1, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Jenny1

Jenny1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    then I got rid of the sand and put in some grass (you know those plants that are just a big clump of long grass? I cut that down and threw it in the coop. I figured it was sorta like straw). Now, she wont lay in the nest box....
    Suggestions?

2. Jenny1

Sep 22, 2008
    ??? Anyone???[​IMG] Hmmm.. that emoticons migth be a bit much for the problem, but no body answered my question! [​IMG]

3. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    What did you have in the nesting box before? Some are quite fussy as to what they like in there.

4. Jenny1

Sep 22, 2008
    That same grass. She never seemed to care...

5. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe she's confused because that same grass is now on the floor and in her nesting box so she's like... [​IMG]

I think removing the grass you replaced the sand with....maybe remove it and give her sand back. =/ Either that or maybe replace the grass that is in the nesting boxes with some sort of other nesting material so there is a difference between that and the floor.

6. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    My coop had been sand with straw in the nesting boxes. I removed the sand and replaced with pine shavings last week. I left the nesting boxes straw so as to not upset them.

I've got no insight as my girls did fine, they continued to lay in the nesting boxes. Except for one hen - she apparently loves the pine shavings and has begun making a nest in them next to the nesting box. Beautiful round bowl of a nest, would love to actually watch her do it.

Maybe the materials between the coop and nesting box have to be different for your girls to be happy. You might want to put straw or shavings in the nesting box since the coop is now grass, too. These little creatures have strange preferences and idea's, don't they?

7. mickey328

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Got that right, mtnlaurl...who knows what goes on in their little chicken brains?

Where does she lay now, Jenny? If the bedding in the box hasn't changed, she may have suddenly just taken a dislike to the box. You might try experimenting with some different things in the box and see if she takes to something different.

8. Jenny1

Sep 22, 2008
    She makes a cute little round nest with the grass on the floor right next to the box.

9. mickey328

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Hmm...sounds like she just decided she didn't like the box. Maybe try putting something where she's making her nest? When we first got our girls, we put a Rubbermaid dishpan in the cage for them to use. Maybe something like that would at least keep her nest "contained".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by