When I talk to my chicks, they shake their heads.........

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hennypen, May 25, 2010.

1. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I'm trying to figure this out. Does my voice hurt their ears? When I talk to them, any voice, and I don't have a real loud voice, they shake their heads like they would if trying to shake water off.

Why do they do this?

2. RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

RachelFromTheBlackLagoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Wallingford, CT
    Mine did the same as chicks and some still do as adults! I don't know the reason, but I sure am curious to find out!

3. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    I raised parrots for many years before getting into chickens and I know that parrots shake their heads when you speak to them because it's how they recognize and acknowledge that not only are you speaking to them, but that they recognize your voice, and your tonal inflection. Not only do birds memorize faces, but they recognize sounds too. It's how a bird can pick out it's mate's voice among thousands say, in a loud tropical rain forest. Make sense? I noticed early on that my chicken chicks did it too, and I have to assume that the fact that they are birds too plays into it. So I assume it's a sign that they are recognizing your voice, the sound of it, your speech patterns, etc, as well as whatever name you are calling them by. I can tell you this, as many birds as I might have, I guarantee you, they KNOW their names! I can be across the yard from my Silkie rooster Hector, and he can be pecking the ground, busy as can be, but if I call him by name, his head will snap up and he will look right at me. The other roosters will not though because I did not speak their names. But they all know my voice, and when I talk to each of them, they do the head shake too. I find it endearing because it means I'm getting through to them. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Awww that's so cute. We'll have to start figuring out names.

5. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Or they are like typical children, already disagreeing w/mom and dad! [​IMG]

6. luvmychks51

luvmychks51 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2009
    Brooksville, FL
    chickens are smart. they know when you're talking to them. I stand on my porch and just say "Chickens" in a high pitched voice and they all come running from out of the woods. Then I have to feed them something amazing like cut up strawberries so they're not disappointed. But I think they like when you talk to them.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That's interesting, because my coworkers do that a lot. I mean really a lot.
    Maybe they are chickens. [​IMG]

Imp-[​IMG]

8. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    That's so cute!!!
    I agree, chickens are pretty smart and cute [​IMG]

9. Fuzzypea

Fuzzypea Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    Gig Harbor, WA
    My chicks are doing that to... maybe some chickens are just born that way? [​IMG]

10. Princess Lay-a

Princess Lay-a Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    Do you sound like Fran Drescher? [​IMG] LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by