When in the day do chickens lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by umanduhbree, Aug 9, 2011.

1. umanduhbree

umanduhbree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Lacona, IA
    This may seem like a silly question, but I'm new to chickens, and my ladies are at the age where they should be laying any day now. I have 10 black austalorps hens, and I was wondering do they prefer to lay in the morning or afternoon? I keep looking several times a day, but still nothing. And do the hens make a certain noise I can listen for? Thanks.

2. oneofseven

oneofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
    So far I have 1 out of 5 laying. She will lay anytime before 3 pm. Sometimes in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon.

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    They can lay anytime during the day. Most of mine lay in the morning but I have had a few lay in the afternoon a couple times. They do make a sound called the egg song that they will make before, during and/or after they lay their egg. It sounds something like "Bok, Bok, Bok Bawwwkawk!" You will know it when you hear it.
    Some will also start squating when you approach them, which is another sign that they will be laying eggs very soon.

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Generally as a rule between 7am and 11am. Problem is chickens dont understand rules!!! This morn I had a RIR in the box at 0530. Retreived 5 eggs before 0700. Gotten eggs late in the day too mid afternoon and one when they were headed in for the evening. But new chicks will lay anytime due to the newness of this egglaying business.

5. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    chickens will lay eggs untill roosting time them they wil skip a day.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Mine start as soon as the sun rises and stop when the sun sets. Rarely, I'll get a hen who lays while roosting-she roosts on top of the nest boxes so I can find the egg with little difficulty.

7. misterhandsome

misterhandsome Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    Kemptville, Ontario
    The two of my six that are laying get a later each day, until they hit 4:00 or later. When it gets to that hour they normally skip the next day. I'm waiting patiently for the others to start pulling their weight!

8. oneofseven

oneofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
  9. misterhandsome

misterhandsome Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    Kemptville, Ontario
    Quote:Thanks, oneofseven. I'm going to keep my eye on this one.

10. bow-chicka-bow-bow

bow-chicka-bow-bow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    When they feel like it![​IMG] I have one that lays in the morning around 10:00 and then today, we found a second egg this evening around 7:00, so I think one of the other ladies has started to lay. So, it just depends on the chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by