When is a breed not a breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by halo, Apr 29, 2009.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I forwarded this post of mine from the barred rock thread to start a new discussion, so I don't hijack the previous thread.

This brings up some interesting points. At what point is a breed not a breed? Obviously, barred rocks with white legs havent been bred to standard, and probably havent been for a while. Its a disqualification, according to the SOP. So are they barred rocks? I have been following some of the marans discussion, and some people think that a marans hen that doesnt lay at least a 4 egg isnt a marans, just due to the definition.

I would think Orpington breeders would be horrified to end up with chicks with yellow legs; hopefully they wouldnt be used as breeders, but would they still be Orpingtons?

If a breeder is breeding dalmations, and has a pup with no spots, is that pup still a dalmation?

Is breed definition defined by the animal standing in front of you, or does it depend on his genetic heritage?

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    My head is spinning from all that!......so I'll just give you bump and see what others might say!

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    In my book, a breed stops being a breed when individuals start taking on separate breed attributes.

For example. Is this a Weimeriner or a Labrador?
    [​IMG]

The body looks nothing like a Labrador, yet the fur says Weimereiner. Yet the ears say Labrador.

4. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Yes its still a Dalmatian and DNA would back this up.

Some smart intelligent person needs to start DNA testing chickens.
    I was thinking the other day if DNA would or is being used in chickens.

5. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    When showing, the phenotype is the only thing a judge can go by. We are not yet recquired to have a DNA certificate as well. I've seen some cross breeds that were wonderful examples of a breed.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You could say it ceases to be a breed when it stops breeding true (BBS colors aside), but then , what is the difference between that and just an odd bird popping up on occasion, such as BBS Orps producing chicks with yellow legs from when a certain hatchery bred in Blue Rocks? Good discussion here.

7. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    Just because a barred rock doestnt have yellow legs doesnt mean its not a barred rock.

Sable is a DQ color in cocker spaniels and you see a lot of them running around doesnt mean that they arent cocker spaniels [​IMG]

8. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Quote:Yes its still a Dalmatian and DNA would back this up.

Some smart intelligent person needs to start DNA testing chickens.
    I was thinking the other day if DNA would or is being used in chickens.

I would hope that even though it is still a Dalmation. It would be spayed or neutered and placed as a pet.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:Yet they are poor examples of a breed and will only continue to breed more inferior examples which could be sold as a breed that they represented once upon a time.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I would not breed a Barred Rock with white legs, personally, unless I was crossing it with something else to make some sort of hybrid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by