When is a chick a pullet?

SweetLilRachy00

Songster
14 Years
Oct 30, 2007
Simpsonville, SC
When do they usually make the transition to being without heat?

I have two silkies (3 weeks old) and I'm just curious how long the usually go. I have guest coming for xmas, and they are bringing (without my permission!!!!) 2 large dogs that almost ate my cat last year. I need to reloate my brooder soon, I guess.

They can't be without a heat source until they are fully feathered - around 6 weeks old.

This time of year, I'd hold off putting them out until a few more weeks went by.

Ive got 3.5 wk old silkies myself, and am going to have to figure out something since I have more babies hatching out around the 19th...

PS-I'm not far from Charlotte. ANd I visit my friend up there quite a bit!
smile.png

Quote:
start them at 95 and drop 5 degrees per week till you reach ambient temp. or till they are fully feathered out.

Quote:
Leave the broader where it is and inform your GUEST that thier dogs will remain outside or in a kennel which they may put up in the garage, or the dogs can stay in the car. They will either get the hint that the dogs are not invited or will get mad and leave if you stick to your guns.

Last edited:
Leave the broader where it is and inform your GUEST that thier dogs will remain outside or in a kennel which they may put up in the garage, or the dogs can stay in the car. They will either get the hint that the dogs are not invited or will get mad and leave if you stick to your guns

---Seriously. It is only a rubbermaid container that is obviously portable!!!! I wish that I could MAKE them leave their stupid dogs at home. I bit my tonuge for DH last year, but this year, all you know what is going to break loose! They are absolutly NOT allowedin the house.

I'm trying to have a stress free day, so don't get me started on the dog issue.

Ok, So I will just keep them warm for a while. I'm not sure what to do with them after they are 'feathered' or when they don't need heat anymore. It's cold outside and theya re still little...how would i introduce them to the other chickens??? I hope they don't eat my silkies!

When is a chick a pullet? I thought this was the question A chick is a pullet when you can seperate the boys from the girls, then if a pullet it becomes a hen once it starts laying eggs, or when a year old depending on who you ask. I dont have an exact answer to the pullet to hen question.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom