When is a chick old enough to be taken out of the brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tiff A., Apr 24, 2011.

1. Tiff A.

Tiff A. Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Jackson
    I have a Buff orpington who is about 5 wks old now... but she has grown so much. She's twice the size of my other chicks. Worried the others aren't getting enough to eat. Is it okay to go a head and take her out. I'm planning on keeping in the garage still in a separate cage.

Thanks and Happy Easter!
    Tiffany [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Separation/isolation isn't too good for them, really. It might be better to move them all out together. More space. Even two feeders to cut down on the dominance of just one chick. It is unlikely that one chick is eating all the feed, however. At 5 weeks, I moved mine out the other day to the barn and their large grow out pen. They are happy as clams.

3. Tiff A.

Apr 23, 2011
    Jackson
    Okay...Thanks so much for your help!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Agree with Fred's Hens.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Also agree. At 5 weeks yours should be fully feathered out so they should not need supplemental heat. Just give then a place they can stay out of drafts at night and they should do well.

What are your breeds? It sounds like you may have all bantams except for the one.

And welcome to the forum! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. Tiff A.

Apr 23, 2011
    Jackson
    Well, I have an asortment in the brooder right now and the Buff is 3 wks older than the rest. In the brooder right now are 2 silkies, 4 mille fleur d'uccle, and 1 black orp., they are all 2 wks old. I plan on splitting them up when they're older. I have individual coops for each breed. But still very new to the chicken movement...I have alot to learn !

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    New information. At two weeks they need supplemental heat. I'd leave them all together as Fred's Hens suggested. They are social animals and really get stressed out unless they have company.

8. Tiff A.

Apr 23, 2011
    Jackson
    Thanks so much for helping me out with this![​IMG]

9. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    I agree! One chick by itself is a very unhappy chick [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by