When is a good time to pass on cockerels?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by michpetea, Aug 28, 2010.

1. michpetea

michpetea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    We inherited a banty mama and her 7 beautiful babies today. Picking them up, I'm sure that two of them are boys. There may be more, but I don't see it yet. When is a good age to rehome them?

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

As soon as they are completely feathered. The sooner the better. It is easier to find them homes when they are still kind of cute.

3. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    It depends. If you are wanting to breed you will want to wait until after the first molt to see how they feather out. If you are not allowed roos at all then get rid of them immediately. If you might want to keep a roo, find out how their personalities develop. I would advise handling them so you can catch them for medical help and just to let them know you can. Also give them good treats, they do a lot for a flock.

4. michpetea

michpetea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    We're a no roo household because of our location. One of the banty's has beautiful feathers and tail coming in. I can tell, though no cockadoodledo yet. They are between 12 - 16 weeks old. Though I'm leaning more to the 12 week side from their dependancy on mom. I'm going to take pics to show them off and get help with their identifications. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by