1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When is a rooster/cockrel able to do his duty?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by the_chicken_ranch, Dec 14, 2007.

1. the_chicken_ranch

the_chicken_ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2007
    Terrell, Texas
    I ahve a young barred rock cockrel who is going to be my replacement "flocksire" but am curious when he will be able to perform? I am contemplating selling the current roo if this one will be able to replace him soon. The youngster was born in March of 07.
    Liana

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I've had fertility from cockerals at about 6-7 months old. But then again, I've never checked any earlier.

3. the_chicken_ranch

Nov 26, 2007
    Terrell, Texas
    Do they "know what to do" at that age? Hwo soon could I expect him to fertilize eggs? I'm trying to say this as politely as possible! lol

4. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Hey, first of all welcome to the asylum!

Not sure about the rooster thing but have heard that it takes a year to go from cockeral to rooster,

I thought "the chicken ranch" was in Lagrange! [​IMG]

Randy

5. the_chicken_ranch

Nov 26, 2007
    Terrell, Texas
    Blame the name the chicken ranch on my husband. Leave it to a man to name us after a brothel!

6. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    [​IMG] go figer!

7. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    well most people say around five months but I have some 13-14 week olds already "practicing" their job.

8. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I've found that usually around 5 mos. or so, if they're not in competition with older males, they'll start trying to do their business. I'm not sure how they know...I've never seen an older roo take one aside and give them "the talk".[​IMG]

9. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Are you sure he is not doing anything with the ladies? Or have you just not SEEN it? I would think that by now he was having his way with them, so to speak, lol. Even the most timid of my young cockerals would grab one of the girls for some fun, the pecking order didnt seem to matter.

10. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I'm in agreement with ChickenLady. I've had my cockerals since March and I've got fertile eggs out the wazoo along with 11 hatchlings to prove it! [​IMG] See my post on Barnyard Specials in the raising baby chicks section. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by