1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

When is a rooster too big for a hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cppeace, Apr 22, 2018.

1. cppeace

cppeace Songster

Jul 8, 2014
    Lebanon, Mo
    I am thinking of adding legbar chicks to my next batch of chicks I will be hatching out. The rooster I will be keeping from that group will likely be from 10-12 lbs and legbars hens are generally around 6lbs. Is this too big a difference?

2. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Crowing

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I had a really large rooster kill a 5 month old Speckled Sussex 2 years ago by suffocating her when he tried to breed her. I don't like really big roosters! :rant

P.S. But I love the under 8 lb ones....

3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    I have a about six pound New Hampshire rooster who breeds with one pound maybe even less then that bantam hens,no issue ever,you should be fine

cppeace likes this.
  4. cppeace

cppeace Songster

Jul 8, 2014
    Lebanon, Mo
    That stinks that that happened. I love my big gentle brahma and will be keeping on of his half breed sons for my next group so he will likely be around the same size but prolly a little shorter.

5. cppeace

cppeace Songster

Jul 8, 2014
    Lebanon, Mo
    thanks

6. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Crowing

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I guess I shouldn't say that I hate all great big roosters. I have a 3 year old Cochin rooster that I adore. And he is very gentle with the hens. I just still kick myself because my SS hen got smothered. I had planned on harvesting the big rooster that killed her but just hadn't got around to it yet. But he lost his head 15 minutes after I found him standing on my dead hen. :rant

7. cppeace

cppeace Songster

Jul 8, 2014
    Lebanon, Mo
    yeah I totally get that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: