when is a young rooster past adolescence?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nature nut, Jan 15, 2010.

1. nature nut

nature nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I have my first little roos. They are only 13 weeks now. I know they go through a wacky hormonal period and are not so gentle with the girls or each other. How old are they when they're personality is pretty well set and you can tell who is going to be mellow vs aggressive, good with the girls vs rough, and the like. I have a little d'uccle that seems to be a little sweetie right now. Doesn't object to being held, not rowdy with the girls, just stands up to the 2 silkies. He is the one I'm thinking of keeping right now but one of the silikies is a watchful little guy, always standing guard for the others, letting them eat first, but he is a bit rough with the others (he is head of the bantams right now). He will posture at and run behind my DH so he may end up being a naughty one.

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    I year to my knowledge

3. BWchicken

BWchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    I also have a d'uccle roo, he is about 10 months old now, and very calm and mature. He has always been very sweet and his personality hasn't changed at all. He went through his hormonal stage at about 4 or 5 months old, but was never ever aggressive, the only way I could tell he was hormonal was he would occasionally try to mate my arm when I held it out for him to fly up on, lol. His hormones seemed to even out by 6 or 7 months old. He still lets me carry him, handle him in any way anytime, jumps on my lap or shoulder, follows me around. People say he's more like a puppy than a chicken, lol. AND he is a wonderful roo to his 12 hens. When we introduced them to him they were only 9 weeks old and he was 7 months old. I was worried he might try to mate and harass them but he treated them like babies from the start, teaching, feeding, and protecting them. The first time he tried mating was just before we got our first egg, when the hen was ready and squatted for him, and he was gentle with her. He's a perfect gentleman and a wonderful protector to his girls, as well as being gentle to humans. Sorry for going on and on, but this little d'uccle roo is the love of my life and I can't help myself!

Anyway, back to your your question, I personally think by about 4 months old, you'll have a pretty good idea of a roo's personality, but I wouldn't say it's 'set' until after the wacky hormonal stage passes, around 6-8 months old. And even then, sometimes nasty roos can be 'reformed' if you're willing to work with them. I don't have any experience with silkies, but I bet your d'uccle's sweet personality won't change as long as you keep handling him and spend lots of time with him. I have read that d'uccle roos are known to be less aggressive than other breeds. Can you guess which roo I think you should keep? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

By the time my first two reached 20 weeks I knew one was mean for no reason, the other is just somewhat territorial and pretty "normal" for a rooster.
    I'm kindof having the same toss up right now though, because I have 4 new cockerels --- one that I think I might want to keep permanently, but I'm afraid that he might change after we get rid of the other 3, ya know?

I don't wanna replace my current roo who is "ok" until I'm totally sure because I'm afraid that the youngster might get bossier without the big boy around. BUT I really can't observe him without the influence of the older one. [​IMG]

5. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    My d'Uccle is my absolute favorite out of all my chickens. He is sweet, tame, and just loving and beautiful. He is probably around 10+ months and I love him to bits. I think you would know by now who will be nice and who will be naughty. All my roos(I have 4) are good with people and not aggressive, but my d'Uccle is by far the most tame and loveable. My neighbors want him and are in awe of him, but there is no way I would let him go. [​IMG]

6. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    My main experience has been with Game chickens and they are mature and at their peak at 2years old. The last 3 years I have acquired standard poultry and seem to mature at different rates, but 1 year old is the average.

7. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    12-18 months is when they are sexually mature. My boy is good right now, but he is only six months...let's hope he stays that way.

8. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    so, does it take 12-18 months for them to lose their fear of the older hens? my silkie roo just started crowing 2 weeks ago. He was born the beginning of august and shows no interest in the hens, in fact, he stays away from them because they always pick on him and his girlfriend. She's a D'uccle and they were raised together, so I know at least they will be hooking up in the future. Is he a wimpy rooster or is it because they are full size chickens or is he just not sexually mature yet? [​IMG]

9. nature nut

nature nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I'm glad that my d'uccle will probably stay the sweetie he is [​IMG] They are the greatest! Sweet, loveable, and just the right size to pick up and pet. I've been wondering if the d'uccle roo will eventually win over the standard hens. He is just like flowerchicks roo. Timid around the hens because they pick on him and he just stays with his d'uccle girlfriend that his age.

We actually found a wonderful pet home for our two silkie cockerels today [​IMG] Now they will have a 7 acre yard and a lady who is ready to spoil them and nobody's gonna eat them [​IMG] So the d'uccle is the roo we'll keep. He really always has been our favorite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by