1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When is an EE no longer an EE?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kansaseq, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    So if I cross my EE hens with a different breed, are the offspring still considered EE's?

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  2. roosty

roosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Georgia
    I would say no. IMO, EE are not mutts and if mixed with other breeds then they would be a mutt. [​IMG] Like I said its my own opinion! [​IMG]
    This is one of those threads that for some reason could get ugly. People get really ill about this for some reason. [​IMG]

3. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:Oh I hope not. I am genuinely interested in people's opinions/experience. Not trying to start any heated political debate, just want to know. I've heard enough people say that EE are mutts, so I am really curious.

4. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    I thought the definition of an EE was a mixed breed that descended from either Araucana or Ameraucana heritage that passed on the blue egg laying gene. Green legs seem to be a quick identifier for EEs. So perhaps if they've been crossed out enough that their legs are no longer green, they would be considered just mutts? [​IMG]

5. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    In my opinion, if the bird no longer laid pink, green or blue eggs it would not be considered an easter egger. Good question! [​IMG]

6. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:Ok. If I have an "EE" hen who lays a brownish egg? Would she not be considered an EE?

7. roosty

Jul 3, 2008
    Georgia
    Quote:According to some...an EE can be a PURE ameraucana (bred from 2 pure ameraucanas) and not be the exact right color and be an EE! So... green legs is not an identifier. [​IMG]

8. roosty

Jul 3, 2008
    Georgia
    Quote:Ok. If I have an "EE" hen who lays a brownish egg? Would she not be considered an EE?

This is so complicated! [​IMG]
    It all depends on the person you ask! [​IMG]

9. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:If you're looking for opinions...

There is no such breed as Easter Egger. Easter Eggers are simply the description given to any mixed descendant of an Araucana or Ameraucana that lays tinted (blue or green) eggs (or in the case of a rooster, carries the dominant tinted egg gene).

A hen that does not lay tinted eggs isn't an Easter Egger.

Again, just my opinion.

10. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:If you're looking for opinions...

There is no such breed as Easter Egger. Easter Eggers are simply the description given to any mixed descendant of an Araucana or Ameraucana that lays tinted (blue or green) eggs (or in the case of a rooster, carries the dominant tinted egg gene).

A hen that does not lay tinted eggs isn't an Easter Egger.

Again, just my opinion.

I like that answer; it makes sense. Anyone else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by