When Is ENOUGH, ENOUGH!? Overmating A Special Needs Girl

FunnyBunnies12

Songster
9 Years
Aug 28, 2010
Cedar Springs, Michigan
Our poor Oreo, our special needs girl. She's layin AGAIN, however her mate as well as now her son's which are now 5mths old, and her daughters as well are going after her by far more then the 7 girls, why is that? Do the males know or sense that she can't get away from them as easily and as quickly? I've had the mate and one of the sons on Oreo at once!! I just feel so terribly for her they are gang.....well you know, banging her! It's horrible and I just want to take her away from all that. With one leg, can to much weight from the boys hurt her? She is only 2 1/2lbs where as everyone else is 3+lbs. I know this is part of life and breeding season, but when is enough ENOUGH? The dad and brothers aren't even hardly attempting the other girls, why would that be?? What should I do for Oreo so she isn't gang banged? I hate using the R word, I don't really like using gang bang either, I guess double mated I guess. No sooner does 1 male finish off the other who's on top of that male immediately finishes off giving no break to Oreo. I'm sad for her! I really have to get this girl a diaper.
sad.png

Quote:
... separation seems the only solution to me. That is WAY too much duckyloving. I've seen ducks gang up, too. I think the worst I saw was a duck (female) drag a chicken over to her drake, use the chicken herself, then have her drake use the chicken and then both of them use it at the same time and then start dancing and cheering each other.... I was like... okay SEPARATION NOW.

They really DO know when one is special needs, too. They always seem to pick that one out when I have one.

I actually have the opposite happeing in my yard. I have a blind duck- and one would think she would be an easy target- but the boys pretty much leave her alone. She does have one drake who is very protective of her- and I have seen him stand up to other drakes when they even walk past her - so that may have a lot to do with it.

I would be much more worried about her if here disablitity was in her spine rather than her leg. Although she may have issues balancing while " piggy backing" a male- the actual weight shouldnt cause her too much of a problem under normal circumstances. I do agree though that sepperation for a time could be in order to give her a break from all the attention.

You could separate her and one other duck to be her companion- or you could rehome or separate your extra males. Its competition between the males. Each one wants to be your 'top' drake so this will probably continue on.

I had one drake that would not stop- and he made the chickens lives a constant state of hiding and trying to stay away. It was nonstop all day long-I threatened to get him one of Netties' duck diapers- so i rehomed him. Then I still had too many male muscovies, so I got more females.

Good Luck.

They have their favorites and ducks will be ducks. Personally, unless she's showing signs of being unable to handle the mating I would leave them alone. They can take a lot more than you would think. If she doesn't get back up after they're done, her handicap worsens, she acts lethargic, then you need to take action. But if she's acting fine, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Most people will tell you no more than 2 drakes for the number of females you have. I have kept them in much closer ratios -- as much as 1:1 -- and not had issues, but it really boils down to the temperament of the ducks. Some ducks simply cannot be in high male to female ratio flocks. IME penned flocks are more susceptible to having problems with ratios. Because yours are penned you may need to rehome a drake or two if what you want is a completely calm and peaceful flock. If that's the case, I'd choose the one who seems most gentle in his mating style and get rid of the others.

Save your girl! Get her away from the gang and put her with another female or male as companion and keep them separate from the rest. If you don't do it soon, she could be killed by the overly sexed.

I had 3 cliques I had to keep separate. It's a bit of work, but everyone was happy.

She is handling it all just fine, she is able to get up and get going for more, she hasn't gotten hurt or anything and she doesn't totally run away form them either, it's just my heart goes out to her. I guess maybe I'm a little over protective of her. I have thought of just her and her mate in one section of the kennel I built and their ducklings in the other kennel since I bought 2 large kennels with 2 doors. So that way in 1 kennel I have 1-1, and the other 7-2, A lot of her mates behavior yes is mating but dominence and also protecting her. If he isn't in her sight she squawks something fierce calling to/for him.

She is an easy target; therefore, she is being targeted. If she were a person this would be considered abuse. I see little distinction. I would separate her away from the others before her physical problems become worse. It is our responsibility to protect the animals in our charge.

First of all you have to forget the mate part. Ducks don't pick mates like we do. They do anyone and anybody in the flock. They are picking Oreo, because she is easy to get. No chase down etc. My suggestion is to have a bachelor pad and the girls extra. You don't plan on having ducklings so there is not need for the girls to get worked up. A good indicator for overbreeding is the neck. See how many feathers are left.

Back
Top Bottom