When is hatch day??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by casslarrabee225, Mar 6, 2012.

1. casslarrabee225

casslarrabee225 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Mid-Coast, Maine
    My Coop
    I took 7 eggs out from under my broody female Khaki. As far as I can tell they are due about March 13th. I candled them and all are growing fine. But I noticed with a few of the eggs I could see movement, shadows (but not a shadow from an internal pip) and wiggling under the membrane at the edge of the air cell. They still have 7-6 days until "hatch day" but does this mean it could be coming sooner then expected? What are the stages before hatch? I know internal pip means 24-48 hours and external pip means 12-24 right? Could it still be 7 days although I'm seeing the movement?
    Thanks to anyone who quickly reply's to my anxious question! lol! [​IMG]

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Should still hatch the same day :)

We (my friends and me) Would LOVE it if you would come on over to our hatching thread. its called "Thread formally known as hatch day is today" Come on over, join the addicts! lol.

Theres alot of useful tips we can give you!

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    casslarrabee225 - did you take much notice of how many eggs were in the nest when your duck started sitting? Sometimes they can continue laying for a while after they start sitting. When that happens you can end up with a staggered hatch over a few days- it may be that the eggs you are looking at are a few days apart. The movement is to be expected at around this stage of incubation- however it could also be an issue of the size of the air cells amking you able to see movement in some and not others. . Are some bigger than others?

4. casslarrabee225

casslarrabee225 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Mid-Coast, Maine
    My Coop
    If not her, SOMEONE was still laying eggs in her nest as she was sitting. She went from sitting on about 13, one being added a day until she reached 19. Then I marked and removed the new ones coming in and eventually she stopped.
    I candled them at about 7 days and noticed a difference in the stages of development so I brought the more "advanced" ones in here to my incubator in the hopes she will sit on all 10 of hers through all of them hatching. I have about 3 small sized eggs and 3 larger ones. (but I also have a large Khaki and 2 small call ducks.) The sizes of the aircells look appropriate for the size of egg and how far they are. As soon as I see in internal pip I should put them all into lockdown right?

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Since they are on different days- then yes- waiting until you see the first internal pip may by the best. Some will be in lockdown a little longer than normal- but without being sure exactly what egg is due when- that would be the only thing you can do really. Fingers are crossed for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by