When is it best to cull?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by vortec, Mar 30, 2009.

1. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    I have several Cornish roos that are soon to be culled as they grow to the 8 week mark. However, I have a lot of other breeds of roos that I am planning to cull as soon as it is possible as I am not looking to breed. So does anybody have any insight on when is the best time to cull the following breeds:

Barred Rocks
    Buff Orps
    Rhode Island Reds
    Light Brahmas
    Australorp
    Black Jersey Giant

vortec

2. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    We usually butcher our extra roos at 14-18 weeks.

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    We butchered a dozen barred rocks at 18 weeks old. They dressed out between 2.5 and 3.5 pounds. I think they'll still be tender and good, but we haven't tasted them yet. I canned them in quart jars, and 6 chickens fit in 7 jars. So they're weren't hugely meaty, but they were adequate.

4. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Now about how much bigger will the cornish x dress out then the barred rocks, etc? Is 8 weeks appropriate, or is waiting another week or two worth it. I know each day makes a difference when they are little but I have never raised to slaughter chickens so I don't know when it is best. Thanks

vortec

5. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    We like to do ours between 16-20 weeks. Carcasses are usually around 3 lb - give or take a 1/4 on any single bird.

The most recent ones we did at 19 weeks were very tender. No slow cooking required. We've fried them, grilled, stir-fry, etc - not a single tough bite!

ETA: They were mostly Black Australorps + an EE, a NH Red.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by