When is it concidered pipped

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by janine, Apr 25, 2009.

1. janine

janine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    This is our first experience hatching, well actually a bantam cochin is hatching. Last night we noticed an egg cracked outwards, we figured it would have hatched this morning. This morning my husband checked it a small piece of shell was missing but that was all. As he held it it was peeping and moving and a beak came through. When did it pip, last night or when the beak came through? it's been 14 hours since we noticed the crack...when do we help? If at all. It's hard to keep the DH away. He wants to help!!!!!

2. sebright guy

sebright guy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    when you see the first peice of egg cracked it is then pipped. i wouldnt hold them too much. it makes it harder for them to hatch without the moisture in the bator.

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

PUT IT BACK IN THE INCUBATOR AND LEAVE IT ALONE!!! Trust me, I've learned by experience. Its pipped, and by handling it you are doing more worse than good. Removing it from the incubator will suck the humidity out of the egg and "shrink wrap" your chick, thus killing it.

and DONT HELP! It could take 24 hours or more to finish hatching.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2009
  4. sebright guy

Apr 14, 2009
    oh i hear alot of people wont help their chicks it usually means there no good. what we do is crush the shell fast around it so it has more of a chance but then close the bater as right away so the moisture stays. wait a few hours yet but then u can do it. we normally have them fight their way out then and they seem pretty healthy. we only get about one r two per hatch.

5. janine

Apr 19, 2009
    This egg isn't in an incubator, it is under my hen. Two hatched already one on Wednesday, one early Friday morning. I just peeked at it, it's still just peeping at the hole, no more of the shell is cracked then was about an hour ago. I didn't touch it I just lifted mom off a bit. I'm scared it'll dry out now that the membrane is opened. Is this normal so far. When do you step in. I don't want to do any damage.[​IMG]

6. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    leave it up to the broody let nature take it corse i had on pip lastnight and create a hole this morning and it hasnt doene anything else if its chirping it fine

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    first of all you DO NOT help..

and that crushing of the shell is a bad idea.. to you who do it, keep on doing it.. for those of you who do not do it,,,,,,,,,do not start !!!!

I just had a goose hatch that took from saturday night until noon on tuesday.. they eventually make it at their own pace.. If they do not make it,,they were not meant to..
    if they are health, they hatch,, if they are weak, they do not hatch..
    survival of the fittest..

actually most of the fatalities are caused by intervention..

I am very assionate about this, I am going to stop right here before I hurt somebodies feelings..

......jiminwis...........

8. sebright guy

Apr 14, 2009
    the way we see it is that we should help a little cause it wus our fault since or temp and humidity isnt always correct. so we like to give the chicks a chance. under a broody definatly just let it be. its all her. i wouldnt take any offense to that. i totally understand were your coming from.

9. janine

Apr 19, 2009
    Okay we checked pipped chick again, just a beak sticking out still, the peeping has gotten weaker. Gently removed some shell with tweezers while holding in a warm wet towel. There are breaks in the membrane only where the chick 's beak is out. The membrane is white on the large end, but you can tell there is liquid around the chick still. I used a q-tip dipped in water and quickly wet the white areas and put it back under the hen. Should I continue or is that enough to help her. I know I was told not to,but you can tell it is getting weaker. Last evening it was just a peeping and moving, now it's quiet and not moving much. Help.....what do we do now?[​IMG]

10. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Just a note as to helping. My last hatch I had to help two out, 1 pipped at the wrong end in an egg carton, I kept hearing peeping for about a day, but could not see where it was coming from, by the time I noticed it had pipped the wrong way and was trying to zip, I would say it had been around 24 hours since I started hearing the peeping, so I took the egg out of the carton and laid it in the incubator, after another day it still hadn't hatched, so I heped it and had a beautiful baby. As for the other egg, it pipped and started to zip, but after about 36 hours of no progress I helped it, but when it dried and I removed it from the incubator I noticed it has a severe leg deformity and had to cull it.

So in my Opinion I will not help anymore, if the chick cannot get out, it probably was not meant to.... Unless of course the chick can't get out because of my error, like me not being able to tell the round end from the pointy end of the egg, lol, DUH.

Good luck with your baby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by