When is it ok for treats??

khable

Songster
12 Years
Mar 16, 2007
LaGrangeville, NY
Hi all,

My babies are 2 weeks old now... getting quite big!!

When is it ok to start giving them treats?

And what kinds of treats do you start them on??

Also... When do you offer them on Grit? I am assuming that you put the grit in some sort of dish and let them have free access to it as you would food right??

hu.gif

Let me know!!

Thanks!!

Kim

love.gif
Mom to 6 Buff Orpington babies!

I dont know WHEN they are old enough for treats, but here's what mine get when I want to treat em right: my veggie cut offs (they do not like cabbage, tho)
apples (i stomp on them and the hilarity ensues)
cottage cheese (no joke...they are mental for it)
When ours were bigger but in transition to their own coop, we would catch june bugs and feed them...that is some fun, i can tell you!
On the feed, I thought that chick food had grit in it...I could be wrong, though.

Khable......the chicke starter has grit in it. However, it is only enough grit to compensate for the feed. IF you give them treats, yes, they will need grit. I didnt start giving treats to my birds....untill they were at least 4 weeks old. Then it was hard boiled egg yolkes...meal worms...cooked rice..and very little of any treat, and only once or twice a week. If you give them treats, make sure they have grit.

We let ours go outside at two weeks old they love the new grass and chasing bugs, we will probably give them some rice not thoroughly cook so it has some texture at first for a treat.

Back
Top Bottom