When is it ok to breed....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GOSPELSOLDIER, Oct 13, 2009.

1. GOSPELSOLDIER

GOSPELSOLDIER Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    new britain
    i have a yokohama pullet about 7 months old. i want to breed her but im not sure when is it ok to breed her or if she is too young. also i want to try and breed with an oxford old english game but he is almost 2 years old does that matter? and last but not least has anyone seen an oxford old english yokohama game before?

oh one more my pullet is 7 months but i yet have seen one egg is this normal or am i too early its my first year with the yokohama so im not too familiar with their ways if so they are diffrent from the other breeds. but again im not sure...thanks everyone in advance

]
    this is her
    [​IMG]

this is him

[​IMG]

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    When she starts laying eggs you can breed her. I usually give my females a month or so of laying before I set the eggs. Depending on the size of the eggs, I like for the eggs to be around 50 grams before I set the eggs in the incubator or I set the eggs a month or so after the hen starts laying.

Tim

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Yes, once she's laying, all you have to do is put the rooster and hen in the same coop (and watch to make sure they are getting along). Chickens are, in my opinion, easier to breed than rabbits since you can breed them as soon as they are laying.
    I hope you have an incubator ready!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by