1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When is it okay for chicks to go on outside outings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by the lemon tree, May 15, 2009.

1. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    How early can I take my chicks out so they can romp around in the grass and forage? They won't be out there very long, maybe like 30 minutes. I have one week olds...too early?

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    just depends on the weather and the supervision. i start taking mine out at 1 week for a few minutes at a time, I do my best to immitate what a momma hen would do.

3. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree...they are old enough to go out for a little while as long as they don't get too cold (not a problem here...LOL). Just watch them carefully.

4. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    A good thing to do is put them out in a pen that is covered on top, but open on bottom. Like an upside-down playpen. Then they can scratch around without them running all over the place.

5. photo chick

photo chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Essex, VT
    I have one week old chicks too. I think I'm going to try it today.

6. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Quote:Me too!

7. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's a pic of mine...I used to take them out to the coop while we were still building it. I started out with very short outings, then increased the amount of time they stayed outside, depending on the weather.

[​IMG]

8. jamz

jamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Maine
    I put mine out for "field trips" starting at a week, they loved it. I think now at 3 weeks they would stay outside full time if I had a place for them to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by