When is it safe to allow my momma hen/babies in with the flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by libbysmom, Sep 6, 2010.

1. libbysmom

libbysmom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    One of my hens went broody (we do not have a rooster), so I went and purchased fertilized eggs from a local farm. She has hatched out four little babies. We currently have her and the babies seperated in a safe area. The babies are two days old and I was wondering when it is safe to allow her and the chicks out with our other 4 hens? Is there any danger of our other hens attacking the new chicks?

Thanks so much!

2. afinney

afinney Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Gainesboro, TN
    Mama hens are very protective of babies if she puffs up and kinda "growls" at you when you get close I would say it would be ok the other thing you have to watch out for is if anything else can get to them like cats, dogs, or hawks etc

3. libbysmom

Sep 6, 2010
    Thanks so much for the info... yes she is fiercely protective. I got a growl and a good peck on my hand today for getting too close [​IMG]

4. afinney

afinney Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Gainesboro, TN
    I would say let them out I've learned the earlier they get outside the better they do~CONGRATS on your bittys [​IMG]

5. libbysmom

Sep 6, 2010
    Do you think it is safe to turn them out immediately then?

Thanks for the congrats! [​IMG]

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    My bantam hen has fostered three light Brahma chicks. All the other chickens are scared to death of her! They will not go in the coop at night until she, Chrissie, is settled in with her chicks, and when I open the door in the morning they are in the farthest back corner and she and her babies are at the front door waiting. I never separated them and never had a problem.

7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I agree, my mother hens were and are still tough on any hen getting too close. She gives them a no nonsense chase. My flock was back together, on day three. I let the layers out to free range, then the mama and chicks, out to free range, and in the coop under the roost, I put a cardboard box with some hay inside it. She took the chicks in early, and got settled that night, and then the layers went in.

Occasionally one of my chicks will get a peck, but it is not dangerous, gives them a healthy respect of the older ladies, and I do have hideouts in the run, where the chicks can get away from the layer hens. They all do fine together.

The Mama now has my 5 week old chicks roosting at night.

Outside ASAP is best. Much cleaner, they can eat bugs, more space and healthier. And when they grow up in the pen, you don't have the whole introduction problems! mk

8. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    it depends on the hen and what stage the chicks are at. if it was while they were hatching i would keep moma and babies in a dog crate in the coop area till everyone was done hathcing. (other hens will try to snatch a hatching chick to kill/eat them [​IMG] ) a few days after all chicks hatch and they know where food and water is, i would let moma roam with her new brood with the other chickens if she showed she was willing to defend them fiercely!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by