when is it safe to eat the eggs?

scaredy0

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 22, 2014
I have a friend who has a couple of backyard hens who have been on antibiotics from the vets. The vet has told her that she can NEVER eat the eggs.....why might that be ?

I think her birds had a cough - I thought you could eat the eggs a month or so after the antibiotics were finished?

Each antibiotic has a specific withdrawal period - usually from 2-4 weeks.
I've never heard of one that precludes ever eating eggs. If that were the case then the avenue taken should be to put the birds down rather than treating.
Very few vets are good avian vets and far fewer have poultry experience. Not really their fault, it's just that there are too many things to know.

Each antibiotic has a specific withdrawal period - usually from 2-4 weeks.
I've never heard of one that precludes ever eating eggs. If that were the case then the avenue taken should be to put the birds down rather than treating.
Very few vets are good avian vets and far fewer have poultry experience. Not really their fault, it's just that there are too many things to know.

X 2 - I would suggest you get the name of the actual medication(s) that were given to the birds so that proper information regarding the withdrawl for those specific medications can be found.

Thanks for that I did think it was a bit strange but my friend has even less experience of chickens than I have ...and that's not much,but all the literature I read says that you should wait a month and I have never heard NEVER eat.... than k you again I'll pass the info on and she can decide for herself.

Back
Top Bottom