when is it safe to let a hen tale her chicks out with the rest of the flock

Cloud with her babies in about 4 days now. She's doing really well. She doesn't mind most flock members being around them but does chase certain ones away still. She's also been more willing to leave them behind the pay couple days when she thinks I'm getting treats out for them but she does call them over. She's tried several times to take them into the main run during the day so I'm guessing that it won't be long til she takes them to bed in the main coop and leaves them behind but then again, this is my first experience and I'm still learning. Overall, I'm very proud of my first time broody and the job she's doing. Thanks everyone for your help and encouragement. The babies are turning 4 weeks old over the next couple days.

thumbsup.gif
From what I have seen the flock will quickly accept chicks when a broody tells them they Must! Looks like she is doing fine. They will wander from her more and more as they mature, usually by 8 to 10 weeks or so they are pretty self reliant!

Cloud with her babies in about 4 days now. She's doing really well. She doesn't mind most flock members being around them but does chase certain ones away still. She's also been more willing to leave them behind the pay couple days when she thinks I'm getting treats out for them but she does call them over. She's tried several times to take them into the main run during the day so I'm guessing that it won't be long til she takes them to bed in the main coop and leaves them behind but then again, this is my first experience and I'm still learning. Overall, I'm very proud of my first time broody and the job she's doing. Thanks everyone for your help and encouragement. The babies are turning 4 weeks old over the next couple days.
Looks like they are fitting in pretty good from the pic.
thumbsup.gif
Also looks like you got a good daddy there showing the babies some food.
love.gif

Joel is a very good boy :) I actually have 3 roosters right now (one is destined for freezer camp though) but Joel is the boss. He's the best with the girls and babies. Always calls them over and warns them of danger and protects them. Blue is a blue copper marans and he's a sneaky brat, always trying to sneak up on the girls to get what he wants. None of the girls trust him. He's been known to call them over and jump them lol. He wasn't very receptive to the babies either so he's heading to freezer camp when we get up the guts do it (we've never done that before but we need to learn soon since any boy babies are destined for freezer eventually too). Our other boy is an old English game Bantam. Chip is thebottomring on the latter. The only one who listens to him at all is our line old English game Bantam hen. Those two are always together. If it were up to me, Chip would go to freezer camp too. He's not exactly friendly to people. He's very protective and will follow you around and try to spur the backs of your legs id your not paying attention. It doesn't hurt at all since he's so tiny buy still. Chip and Cookie were the two chicks that we allowed the kids to pick as pets so they're safe until their natural lives end lol. Didn't mean to go into a whole detail about my boys lol

Last edited:
Joel is a very good boy
smile.png
I actually have 3 roosters right now (one is destined for freezer camp though) but Joel is the boss. He's the best with the girls and babies. Always calls them over and warns them of danger and protects them. Blue is a blue copper marans and he's a sneaky brat, always trying to sneak up on the girls to get what he wants. None of the girls trust him. He's been known to call them over and jump them lol. He wasn't very receptive to the babies either so he's heading to freezer camp when we get up the guts do it (we've never done that before but we need to learn soon since any boy babies are destined for freezer eventually too). Our other boy is an old English game Bantam. Chip is thebottomring on the latter. The only one who listens to him at all is our line old English game Bantam hen. Those two are always together. If it were up to me, Chip would go to freezer camp too. He's not exactly friendly to people. He's very protective and will follow you around and try to spur the backs of your legs id your not paying attention. It doesn't hurt at all since he's so tiny buy still. Chip and Cookie were the two chicks that we allowed the kids to pick as pets so they're safe until their natural lives end lol. Didn't mean to go into a whole detail about my boys lol
No worries here. I like hearing about other peoples' chooks! I had a D'uccle roo who would wait till my back was turned and then spur my legs. I tried every trick I could find to settle him down, but nothing got through to him. When I was wearing shorts one day and he actually cut the backs of my legs, I decided I was done trying to reform him and that weekend he went straight to freezer camp.
rant.gif

As far as processing for the freezer, once you do it a couple times it does get a bit easier. I still don't like it, but I can do it and not fear I'm going to lose my lunch afterward.

I'm glad to hear it gets easier. For me, it's not the gore that bothers me. I get VERY attached to any animals even if I know from the start that they are not staying. I actually cried when we have one of our extra roos away even though I knew for weeks that he was going and I thought I had prepared myself. He lives across the street from my mom and I can visit him whenever I want lol. It's going to be even harder for me too process but I need to do it. I've tried not eating meat. I can't make it lol.

It isn't the gore that bothers me either. I'm fine with that. But the act of killing anything makes me feel ill. I even feel guilty for swatting spiders and I HATE spiders.
hmm.png
But it has gotten better with practice. The roos that I really do not like at all are easier.

Babies spent their first night in the main coop last night and did very well :) They even got up close and personal with Daisy as she was trying to lay her egg. Good thing she's very mild mannered lol. She let then sit with her for about 5 minutes or so before she picked a different box to lay in. The ask came out of the coop just fine this morning and found all the food dishes and the water :) proud of my little fluffy butts!

@Aphrael, we did process our extra roo the other day. I bawled hysterically but we got through it. He should be going in the freezer either today or tomorrow.

Adorable! Aren't broodies and babies fun?! Congrats on the processing it does get a bit easier with time, you just have to remind yourself of how much better off they are in your backyard versus a comercial operation.

Babies spent their first night in the main coop last night and did very well
smile.png
They even got up close and personal with Daisy as she was trying to lay her egg. Good thing she's very mild mannered lol. She let then sit with her for about 5 minutes or so before she picked a different box to lay in. The ask came out of the coop just fine this morning and found all the food dishes and the water
smile.png
proud of my little fluffy butts!

@Aphrael , we did process our extra roo the other day. I bawled hysterically but we got through it. He should be going in the freezer either today or tomorrow.
Good for you!
thumbsup.gif
hugs.gif
It never gets EASY (not for me at least). But it does get easier.

You little chicky family is so adorable, and they look super content.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom