When is it safe to put chicks outside?

Chick CJ

Crowing
13 Years
Dec 27, 2009
Living in Bay Area in California. Temps range from mid 40's to 50's right now. My chicks, aged 6 and 7 weeks, currently reside in my dining room and I turned off heat lamp completely today. I take them outside everyday to acclimate them even more. I am thinking of moving them out to the shed without heat by the end of the week. What do you think? Does this sound reasonable at these temps? If so, then if the temps start to drop, at what temp would I worry about it being too cold and for how long would I worry as far as their age goes? They all look pretty much feathered to me. Is 8 weeks the magic number?
Cathryn

Mine were outside with a heat lamp in the corner of a large coop at about 7 weeks in Seattle with temperatures ranging from 30-45F. A week later we only turned it on when nights were below freezing. And, another week after that did not turn in on at all. And, I would guess that was probably overkill. They probably would have been fine without heat at 7 weeks in the coop.

Quote:
Agreed. I don't brood in the house.

You said: "I am thinking of moving them out to the shed without heat by the end of the week". If I were you, I'd proceed with that plan. If it's draft-free and your temps. stay in the same range, I think they'll be fine. If they are uncomfortable, they'll let you know.

Yeah, the brooding in the house is really just because it is easier for me! It keeps me motivated to take top notch care of them and make sure I am paying attention to them. I feel like it helps me get to know them and keep an eye on their health as they grow. I have them in an open pen with plenty of room for them to grow in and I will just move them out to the shed in that same pen and then into the run/coop in it as I introduce them to my other girls.

Thanks for the help with the timing. Sometimes I feel like I know the right thing to do but I just need for someone else to say it's right! Silly, but thanks to everyone for your encouragement.
Cathryn

Quote:
I'm the opposite. Having them outside - on the screened porch actually - keeps me motivated to spend more time outdoors in the fresh air. It's good for me.
smile.png

ok....I couldn't really find a thread for "accidental chick momz"... lol
My lil chick.... TC.... has doubled in size since I got it the first of this month.
I still don't know if it is a girl or a boy, or it's actual age.
It's wing feathers are white, the body still has yellow fluff, but there are bigger feather "stalks" coming in.
TC (The Chicken) is amazing!
lol.png
It has become hand trained, it loves me (but not everyone else). We just got it a way bigger cage, put some solid sticks in it for "roosting", a tshirt, bedding, chickfeed, waterer, and a mirror.... But it was not happy last night when I went to bed and left it. I ended up with this lil darling in my lap as I played my fb games. That was too cool!
cool.png

I know that it would rather have other chicks to hang with, but that's just not an option right now. I thought about finding someone with chickens and giving it away, but now I think it has imprinted on me and I just couldn't break it's little chicky heart. (it's mother and some siblings were killed, and the people that gave it to us said that the other chickens wouldn't take care of it).
I have plans for a coop, but not anytime soon.
I want to take it outside to play but I fear it would run away. I don't guess it's a good idea to put a leg leash on it.... oh well...
So, why am I here? To see if I can find the info I need, find others in the same boat, make sure that I'm not gonna mess up too badly. lol
I still haven't been able to pin my son down for getting some pics... I really don't know how to use the webcam thingy.
The most confusing part of this all is just how to navigate this forum. lol
The only real problem with TC is bedtime, it gets pretty loud when the lights go out and things get quiet. I used to cover it with a towel and it would settle down and sleep, but not now... it crawls out from the tshirt in the cage and raises cain until I pick it up. My husband is becoming less tolerant as the days go by.... Maybe I'll just get rid of him, so me and the chicken and kids can live in peace. lmao

Quote:
Pics would really help. There's lots of info. here on navigating the forum, adding pics, etc.: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1198
Info
. here on raising a chick: https://www.backyardchickens.com/raising-chickens-basics.php

I
think the biggest problem you are going to run into is that chickens just don't like to be alone. They are flock animals and need the companionship of other chickens to be content. Depending on its age, it may also need a source of heat.

Good luck with it and
welcome-byc.gif

so, do you think that if I got TC a friend, they would settle down at night? Or would it be 2 lil chicks mad chirping? lol

I think the house is warm enough for TC. And we have a cover for the cage too.

I am just amazed every day with TC. Just a few minutes ago, I was doing dishes and TC called me. I picked it up and it jumped straight up to my shoulder and sat pretty, cooing in my ear while I finished the dishes.
big_smile.png

I will make my boy get some pics on here tonight. My family and friends on FB are hounding me about it. lol And I'd really like to get someone that knows something about chickens to give me some more info.
thanks!!!

Quote:
If possible to get another chick of the same age/size I think it would help alot. You will have to watch that they get along at first, of course.
My concern is, from your description, that TC may be a meat bird. Meat birds aren't bred to live long lives. I have 8 meat pullets now almost 7 months old. They have required special handling to allow them to live this long. They are usually sent to slaughter at 6 to 8 weeks old. They were rescues.

BTW, it's considered hijacking to add your questions onto someone else's thread, but I understand that navigating the forum can be a challenge at first.
smile.png

It would be best if you ask further questions on your own thread. If you need help with that, just PM me - use the link under my user name "PM". I'll do my best to help you out.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom