When is it safe to return an injured chicken to the flock?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MatthewDad, Jan 2, 2017.

1. MatthewDad

MatthewDad New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    My hen got her foot stuck in an old ladder and another one attacked. As you can see she drew blood on both sides of the neck. I've kept the victim in isolation for 2 days and spraying vetericyn on wounds.

How do I know when it is safe to return her to the flock?

Thanks.

http://imgur.com/a/d0dvC

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

If she hasn't been in their sight for the past 2 days, she may have to work her way back into the pecking order.

I would return her ASAP as long as she is eating and functional. That doesn't look too red to attract pecking but you could get some Blu Kote if you need to help prevent it.

I would either add her back in while they are ranging or if that doesn't work I would put her back on roost after dark so they all wake up together. That often works.

3. MatthewDad

MatthewDad New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    Thank you. I put the isolation in in the coop all day yesterday so they could at least hear her. Hopefully that eases the transition.

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Oh good, that should help quite a bit!

Chickens will often gang up and attack an injured one, gives them a chance to up their standing in the pecking order. Dogs will do the same thing. Nature is brutal sometimes. Just make sure the two attackers aren't out to get her again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by