When is it time for layer feed?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cowhlb, Sep 5, 2014.

1. cowhlb

cowhlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2014
    Virginia
    My chicks are about 12 weeks old and we have them on starter/grower a it says only 10 weeks and below. So, when is it time for layer?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Start layer feed when the birds are close to laying. This is usually around 18 weeks old. You can also wait until they are actually laying to begin layer feed. Don't feed layer feed to young birds ( wouldn't give 12 week olds it), as it contains too much calcium and can damage their bodies. Starter feed should be fine until they are close to laying. I feed my chickens a starter/grower feed until they begin to lay, and then change to layer feed.

3. cowhlb

cowhlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2014
    Virginia

Ok thank you!

4. rfreedlund

rfreedlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2014
    Byron, Illinois
    Even still keeping them on chick feed, the first few eggs I received were very hard shelled (though small). I did switch them all over at 18 weeks, though.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    ...or....you could keep feeding the higher protein feed and provide oyster shell all the time in a separate container.

I like to feed an 'all flock' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I have calcium available at all times for the layers, oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container. The higher protein crumble offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by