When is it too late for baby chicks?

shelleyb1969

Star Bright Farm
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Brown City, Michigan (Thumb)
I live in Michigan, originally from Tennessee. Can someone please advise me as to when it's too late to hatch eggs or buy baby chicks? I want Orps, and I REALLY don't want to wait til next spring to get them. I'd like to have eggs to eat next spring, not baby chicks to raise!
smile.png

you can call the hatchery and ask them when they are willing to ship, then take it from there. As far as it being too late....In my opinion it's never too late!!! LOL!!! Seriously, if you get chicks they have to be kept in the house till they're fully feathered, and when you put them out you have to make sure they're kept warm till they're old enough to go without a heat source.

Orps are big birds like my brahmas are. Therefore I think it's important for them to have time to mature, put on some weight, and completely feather out before winter hits. That's why I got mine as early as I possibly could in the spring. So, being in Michigan do you have at least 4 more months before winter weather starts or will you be able to maintain high temps. for them in winter? I know it's hard to be patient, but I think spring is the best time. Just MHO.

Last edited:
It just depends on whether or not you are set up to keep them especially warm in the beginning cold months if they are still very young. I would wait until Spring at this point.

I'm in that boat too! We got our first chicks from the feed store in May before I found mail order sexed chicks, that you could get in 5s. Then it started looking like most of my chicks were going to be roosters, and we figured we'd need at least 3-4 in the coop over the winter to keep warm (hey, it made a good argument). Now 6 more babies will be born 8/18! And then I'll have to keep them in the house longer so they are at least 8 weeks old before running with however many of the originals are left! Now that we've ordered, of course, it looks like at least 3 of the chicks will be pullets after all. My chicks are what, 12 weeks old, and I STILL can't tell!

Thanks for all the advice. I've got a lot of thinking to do...fast! I REALLY want to have chickens laying eggs by late spring next year. If anyone hears of any young hens or pullets for sale in the Michigan thumb area, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know. Thanks to everyone!
Michelle

Back
Top Bottom