When is it too late?

Duckee

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 11, 2014
Southern Illinois
I should know this, but ive never had this issue before...
I changed coops when my 12 girls were at POL. It has been about 3 weeks now and I think 4 started laying so far. One laid for the first time the old coop the morning of move over. She stopped for. Week, then started back. Every one has physical signs of wanting to lay, but no interest otherwise. They are all 5=6 months.

Made me wonder...is there a point in that its too late in the season for spring chicks to lay and just look for them to lay in the spring?

I have very rarely had a chicken start laying the same year she was hatched. I'm not sure if this is normal, especially since I don't even live where it gets very cold very early.
Maybe someone else will weigh in, but I don't usually expect them to start laying until the next spring.

Ive had over 50 chicks over my course on this property and only had 1 begin lay in the next year (EE). Im worried the coop change so close to POL may cause them to wait. They all have constant red combs and wattles, most squat for me now too. Maybe they dont like their new home or nest boxes?

Ive had over 50 chicks over my course on this property and only had 1 begin lay in the next year (EE). Im worried the coop change so close to POL may cause them to wait. They all have constant red combs and wattles, most squat for me now too. Maybe they dont like their new home or nest boxes?
Maybe they just need time to get used to their new coop.

Not very much experience but this is what I recall from the female chicks I had.
I had chicks from may. They started to lay in february.
I had one chick hatched in july. She started to lay in march.
I had chicks in april. They all started to lay in oktober. Two stopped soon after and started to lay again in february. One other was laying all winter without artificial light.

Causes that affect egg laying are : breed, hours of light, stress, feed, weight .... There is an article on BYC about these influencers.

Are you keeping them confined to the new coop and run?
...or do they still have access to the old coop during free range time?
The new coop was build next to the smaller old coop. I kept the old one for sick bay & brooder. The old one has roost nest boxes on 2nd floor and run ground level. They also have a larger attached run. I left the bottom floor of the old coop open for shade because we had to cut down their shade tree. I took off the stairway and boarded entrance to the old roost & boxes.
The new coop is a long hoop house. Ut is set up nuce but seems to stay darker. And where they went straight to the downstairs run in the old coop first thing in the morning. The cant do that in the new coop. They must be released as the run is no longer preditor proof for now (no overhead covering). They love to just hang out in the new coop all day because it is large. So they are in more darkness longer.

Do i need to add a small amount of light or something?

Im not sure im digging the new coop as much as the wooden one. I wish I could afford a large wood coop

Do i need to add a small amount of light or something?
Light and sunlight are important for egg laying and a healthy coop and chickens. So yes. Windows in a coop are a must have imo. And very important if they stay there during the day too.

Is it possible to open the entrance to the old coop. That the chickens can go to the safe run, first thing in the morning?

Update: my girls have finally settled in the new coop. All but 1 have started laying! Even my 2 old gals have now adjusted. Not long ago I had only 1 old gal laying and here is my collection from today...11 EGGS!
wtHNWeh1-60773558.jpeg

Thanks to everybody for all your helpful comments :)
Happy egg collecting!

Back
Top Bottom