When is lock down? When is hatch day?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheSmallestEgg, Apr 4, 2018.

1. TheSmallestEgg

TheSmallestEgg Songster

Mar 22, 2018
    Oswego, New York
    I’m a huge noob and I’m confused so if someone would like to help me figure this out once and for all I would be eternally grateful:

I put my eggs in on Sunday, the 18th at 8 pm. At the end of today, it will have been 17 days. When do I take out the turner tray? When is lock down? When should I up the humidity? When will they start hatching? I keep getting confused about whether things should be done on specific days, after them?

Not to be ridiculous, but please help. This is my first time and I want to make sure all is well and right.

Joeschooks likes this.
  2. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    Hi. I just tried to copy a link for you. It wouldn't let me copy it for some reason. If you go to the article section then the learning centre you will find a article about incubating and hatching. All the information you need. I hope it goes well for you!

3. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    About day 18 remove the turners, up the humidity and around day 21 you should have eggs hatching. Some people wait for the first pip to raise the humidity but it's a personal choice. Sometimes chicks are a little early or late. Good luck!

4. TheSmallestEgg

TheSmallestEgg Songster

Mar 22, 2018
    Oswego, New York
    Thank you, I’ll go check it out!

Chickencountryuk likes this.
  5. TheSmallestEgg

TheSmallestEgg Songster

Mar 22, 2018
    Oswego, New York
    So would it be safe to take out the turners tonight, candle and lock down tomorrow? Or should I candle and lock down tonight?

6. TheSmallestEgg

TheSmallestEgg Songster

Mar 22, 2018
    Oswego, New York
    And another question, if I think my air cell is too small for day 17, would you suggest waiting to up the humidity?

7. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    It is amazing how much bigger they get as hatch time approaches but you could wait a day or two to up the humidity. You can just take the turners out and wait to do the other stuff tomorrow if that's easier.

8. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    I usually go into lockdown at the end of day 18 and up the humidity at that time. If the temperature is spot on the chicks should hatch on the same day of the week that you set them. If they’re early then your incubator temp may be too high, vice versa if they’re late. Best of luck with your hatch :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: