1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When is lock down?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JustMandy, Mar 19, 2011.

1. JustMandy

JustMandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    If I set the eggs at 8:30 am on March 3.

I promice one of these days, I'll get my hatching math down. [​IMG]

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:22nd should be your last day turning..and the 23 you could see pips, and that night or 24th you should have some chicks. [​IMG]

Remember to get your humidity up on the last day of turning..22nd.

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Oh, and I also set some on the 3rd..my barred rocks are doing great..how about your eggs? Candle them?

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Assuming chicken eggs, lockdown is 18 full days after you set them. Since you set then 8:30 am on Thursday, March 3rd, lockdown is 8:30 am Monday, March 21. Hatch should be Thursday, March 24.

Please see my post in this thread to see how to count the days.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=464226

Good luck on the hatch!!

5. JustMandy

JustMandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    Wow! Thanks for that great answer Ridgerunner! I now understand how to count the incubation days. I had read somewhere about starting before noon=one thing and after noon=another...I found it very confusing.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yeah, it seems like Day 1 should be the day you put them in the incubator, but it is not. It is how much time they have been in the incubator.

Lockdown is not something that you have to get it dead on to the exact minute. As long as you are close you are good enough, but I think it is good practice to try to get it right.

7. chickiechik

chickiechik Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Venice Florida
    I'm a noob and have my first hatch in a Brinsea advance. Set eggs Sat July 30th at 12:30 pm. Bator says 4 days right now. Do I increase my humidity tomorrow when it says day 3, or wait till day 2 with hatch date being Sat the 20th? I'm so confused with conflicting posts on dates for lockdown, and I want to do this right. Any help is really appreciated, and thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by