When is moulting ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickiemom25, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    As I recall when it got cold my one girl moulted last year ( which I thought weird to wait for the cold to shed feathers). Its been 5 days with no eggs now . This year the other 2 are 18 months old so I expect a moult but I am only seeing a few more feathers than usual.. not naked birds like the 36 month old was last year. Shouldn't they be moulting by now?

Dawn

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    molting usually happens when the days get shorter and colder, most birds will not going through their first annual molt until around the age of 16-18 months but some will start as early as a 12-14 months of age. I have a few birds that will go through a hard molt where they lose almost all their feathers at 1 time and then you see their new feathers start to come in, then I have other ones that you can barely tell they are molting as they only lose a few feathers at a time.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Some of my hens will quit laying about a week before you see the feathers coming off. She'll probably be starting her molt very soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by