When is my goat going to have her kid

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by michellemire, Feb 5, 2014.

1. michellemire

michellemire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2014
    Bought her pregnant so not sure when she was breed I have her n her sister both r pregnant her sister is a lot bigger I posted pic n just asked about her [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    The most accurate way I find is to feel the ligaments at the base of the tail. Feels like a couple of pencils. I would recommend finding them on either a non-pregnant or an early pregnant goat first, just so you know what you are looking for. Once the ligaments disappear completely, the doe should kid within 24 hours, so if you're not sure when she was bred, just check the ligaments every day and you won't have to worry about missing it [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  3. michellemire

Feb 5, 2014
    Thanks I tired that I can't feel anything but not really sure wat I'm looking for

4. SA Farm

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Right above the tail, feel the spine behind the hip, then go down from there. The ligaments are angled and feel like pencils. I couldn't find them the first couple of times I tried it either. Just keep trying. Maybe try on all your goats to see if you can feel a difference in any of them.
    Here's a pic showing where they should be (Sorry only pic I have of that area on my computer right now lol)
    [​IMG]

5. michellemire

Feb 5, 2014
    I'll go try again later after it stops raining thanks so much

6. SA Farm

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    No problem [​IMG]

7. michellemire

Feb 5, 2014
    I feel hers but I didn't feel her sisters that's a lot bigger then her I post pic n can u let me knw that's it get cold here I wanna pick her but in a warm place by herself if she's gonna have them soon [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. michellemire

Feb 5, 2014
    She also doesn't hold her tail up anymore It stays down I had to hold it up to take the pic

9. SA Farm

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    If the ligaments are gone, that means she'll birth within 24 hours, so I would move her now so she has some time to get comfy before labor begins [​IMG]

10. michellemire

Feb 5, 2014
    Thanks I'll post pic when there born if there born soon hopeful they r but kind wish it would be warmer 34'f is to cold for louisana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by