When is poo not a good poo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Acre of Blessings, May 11, 2008.

1. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Just wondering what differences to look for in the poo to see when something may be wrong.

2. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Anything constantly runny or if they are constipated.

3. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    How do you find who's runny and who's constipated? Do yo have to sit there and keep a watchful eye on them?

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I have several groups of chickens in small coops so it is pretty easy for me. I take each chicken out and put them in a cage and wait till the poop at least twice. If both are runny or a very loose consistency, I know that is the one who is having a problem. I repeat with everyone in the group and treat the ones who are affected. Every chicken will have a cecal cleansing poop one to two times a day. Those are different in consistency and color. That is why you want to leave them through at least two samples. You can take the sample of the non cecal dropping to a vet and they can run a fecal float test for worms or cocci. You can then treat accordingly.

5. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Is there any type of treatment that can be done at home? I am not sure we have a vet that looks at chickens. I will have to find ou though.

6. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    The test on the droppings does not require a vet speciality. They should be able to do that for you even if they don't treat chickens. Cocci can be treated with Amprol or Sulmet both available at farm supply stores or online. Jeffers supply, First State Vet Supply to name a few. Best to do a search for the topic you need information on and read the various recommendations for treatments. I have found Featherfanciers has great information regarding treatment of various poultry related illness.

7. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    i see runny poo off and on is that a good thing but i noticed that when i see runny poo is when they drink a lot of water and not enough food. (because of the food hoging chicken lol) but the poo goes to normal the next day.

should i be worried??

8. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I know this may be silly to ask but does anyone have a pic of what good poo should look like and what bad poo should look like and maybe one of the flushing fo the system?

9. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    [​IMG]

10. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    Quote:when u get a anwser i need to know too.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by