1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When is she going to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jelmer, May 12, 2009.

1. jelmer

jelmer Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2009
    one of my hens got little chicks about 5 weeks ago but now shes not laying eggs I have no idea how old she is but the former owner said she was laying eggs but there are no eggs anyone know how long it will be before she starts laying again?

2. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    If she has chicks to care for she will not lay. As soon as she feels that they are fine to take care of themselves then she will go back to laying I guess.

3. jelmer

May 9, 2009
    ok thanks

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They often stop if their environment changed, as well. They may need some time to settle in.

5. jelmer

May 9, 2009
    hmm yea could be because winter has just started here

6. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Does she get 14 hours of light a day? Laying can slow/stop if she doesn't get enough light.

7. jelmer

May 9, 2009
    hmm no she doesnt get 14 hours of light

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    well without the 14 - 16 hours of light they will not lay or not very well. Molting will stop their laying as will cold temperature and real high temps. My girls laid all winter but now that it is getting warmer they are slacking! LOL

You may want to consider some additional light in the coop for them. Maybe leave it on a couple extra hours at night or put it on a timer.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  9. jelmer

May 9, 2009
    ok

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by