When is the best time to get chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicks Galore3, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I am getting a couple more chicks ([​IMG]) I got my last ones in April, but April sounds forever away. :) But, I am wondering when I SHOULD get them, as in, when to get them so when it is time to move them into the coop it isn't too cold. My chickens I have now spent a month in a brooder inside, and a month in the brooder in the basement. So, into the coop in june. If I get them in march, they would be outside by may. Us here in Iowa are having *another* warmer winter. (teens-30, as opposed to below 0s.) Would mid to late march be too early?

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Well what breed would you be getting? If it is a cold hardy breed (Like Barred Rocks) I would say that an't to early!!
    All I can say is Better safe than sorry!!
    Good Luck!!
    [​IMG]

3. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thank you for a quick reply! I am going to be getting BO roo, a white leghorn, and 2 rainbows. Have you ever heard of that breed? I hadn't until I looked at the hatchery website.

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    No, I haven't heard of it before. Is it a Pure bred breed?

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    After your chicks are fully feathered in at 6 weeks you can acclimate them outside. They will not at that age be old enough to add to your adult flock - birds should be close to the same size before integrating. I have some Cream Legbar chicks that have been running around in the snow (thier choice) since they were 4 weeks old.

Your rainbows are crossbred hens bred for egg production, not purebreds.

6. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Ok, I won't be showing them. I might be showing my BO hen Dandelion.

I will be putting them in an enclosed section of the coop so they and the current flock can see each other for awhile, and then intergrate them. Are white leghorns winter hardy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by