When is the coop finished ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 7L Farm, Nov 12, 2010.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    It seems like all I do is keep working on the coop. Yesterday, I put plexiglass up in the window where they roost. I have the glass attached with hinges so I can open & close according to the weather. I was gonna use clear plastic but didn't like the idea of putting it up taking it down. One of these days I will finish the never ending coop from hellll syndrome. Then guess what I'm gonna build another one. Oh no!!!! Guess all my friends were right I should of got a dog.LOL.

2. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    My husband would love to read this! There's always one more thing to do on mine. And he gets stuck doing most of it. He always say "good, it's done" and I say "well, except we still need to . . ." Then he walks away.

3. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Sounds familiar! I haven't told my hubby yet that come spring, I'm going to want to expand their run area some for fear that he'll want to shoot me! I'll keep it to myself until the time comes.[​IMG]

4. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    I salvaged one of the old hand crank RV/camper windows 2'x4'. If the plexi glass ends up not working for you, that might be an option. The window can be opened all the way and rain still doesn't blow into the coop.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Huh, my experience with this sort of project is that I (and many many other people) like to officially declare them finished when they are about 85% done and basically-functional.... and then they remain a work in progress for the entire rest of your life (even if you do finish the *original* last 15%, there are always modifications and upgrades and such)

[​IMG]

Pat

6. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think Hubby chooses to work on the coop (ie upgrades) when he doesn't want to work on more important stuff. [​IMG] The chickens were for me, but I think he is way more the "chickenman" than I am a "chickenlady". If I can find him inside the house, chances are he is visiting his girls... Brings new meaning to my/kids pet name for him "Daddy-roo" which he had well before we even entertained the idea of having our own chickens... [​IMG]

7. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    the only way to consider a coop finished is to stop visiting this site... every time i look at coops - i see something else i need to do to mine - ya'll have too many great ideas!

I would've been okay with my coop 3 months ago until i saw some of the neat ideas here!

8. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I think building a coop is kind of like building the great pyramids...at least a couple hundred years to finish. You might want to consider installing a burial chamber in it.

9. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    [​IMG]

Seriously, this weekend I'm adding a perch in mine for the pigeons now living with my chickens. By next month I'll be adding my THIRD addion to my coop - it's getting pretty ramshackle-looking, but it's functional! Someday I'll start all over and make one big aviary.

10. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Finished??? [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You're so funny! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by