When is the coop finished ?

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
It seems like all I do is keep working on the coop. Yesterday, I put plexiglass up in the window where they roost. I have the glass attached with hinges so I can open & close according to the weather. I was gonna use clear plastic but didn't like the idea of putting it up taking it down. One of these days I will finish the never ending coop from hellll syndrome. Then guess what I'm gonna build another one. Oh no!!!! Guess all my friends were right I should of got a dog.LOL.

My husband would love to read this! There's always one more thing to do on mine. And he gets stuck doing most of it. He always say "good, it's done" and I say "well, except we still need to . . ." Then he walks away.

Sounds familiar! I haven't told my hubby yet that come spring, I'm going to want to expand their run area some for fear that he'll want to shoot me! I'll keep it to myself until the time comes.
wink.png

I salvaged one of the old hand crank RV/camper windows 2'x4'. If the plexi glass ends up not working for you, that might be an option. The window can be opened all the way and rain still doesn't blow into the coop.

Last edited:
Huh, my experience with this sort of project is that I (and many many other people) like to officially declare them finished when they are about 85% done and basically-functional.... and then they remain a work in progress for the entire rest of your life (even if you do finish the *original* last 15%, there are always modifications and upgrades and such)

tongue.png

Pat

I think Hubby chooses to work on the coop (ie upgrades) when he doesn't want to work on more important stuff.
tongue.png
The chickens were for me, but I think he is way more the "chickenman" than I am a "chickenlady". If I can find him inside the house, chances are he is visiting his girls... Brings new meaning to my/kids pet name for him "Daddy-roo" which he had well before we even entertained the idea of having our own chickens...
lol.png

the only way to consider a coop finished is to stop visiting this site... every time i look at coops - i see something else i need to do to mine - ya'll have too many great ideas!

I would've been okay with my coop 3 months ago until i saw some of the neat ideas here!

I think building a coop is kind of like building the great pyramids...at least a couple hundred years to finish. You might want to consider installing a burial chamber in it.

yuckyuck.gif

Seriously, this weekend I'm adding a perch in mine for the pigeons now living with my chickens. By next month I'll be adding my THIRD addion to my coop - it's getting pretty ramshackle-looking, but it's functional! Someday I'll start all over and make one big aviary.

Back
Top Bottom