When is the egglaying beginning?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Olekushka123, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Olekushka123

Olekushka123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2015
    I'm new in raising chickens. Trying to find out when is the starting point for the length of the egg laying. The information I got says 1,5 to 2 years.
    1,5 years counting from the chickens birth or from the very first egg they lay? I hope I express myself correctly.

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Hens start laying between 5 and 8 months depending on the breed. They do their best/most laying in the first 3 years. I have 2 six yr olds that still lay from time to time.

3. Olekushka123

Olekushka123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2015
    Ok, but how do you count 3 years? From their birth or when they are 5-8m old. When is the countdown begins?

4. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    From birth, just like any animal.

5. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    There are times when birds stop,for say molt,or egg cycle.

Normally birds start laying around sexually matured age,so 6,8 months or so.Some,depending ob the breed,can take up to a year.

You can't really keep countdowns,unless you don't count the off and on days.

Also,birds don't just stop laying at 3 yearss.They don't lay as much.Think about it this way,if chickens live to be 13 or older,why would they be made to only lay for three years?
    This also depends on the breed.For say,bigger chickens may get arthritis,which for a more heavy weighted chicken can be bad,cause stress,and kill them.

Bantams don't necessarily take it too bad,not much weight is put on them.And elderly big birds fly badly comparec to what some/most bantams fly.

Hope this helped!

ThePRfan

6. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014

From birth for chickens,the count down would start at 6,8 months,because it's whem they begin laying.

7. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I never said chickens stop laying at 3 years. And who counts down on a living being? You count up by month to egg laying maturity, by year for best production and by their
    4th year you can count on a few less eggs every month and every year after that. Eventually they do stop laying yet continue to live for several more years. Does that make sense?
    I'm trying to explain as simply as possible.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by