when is too late?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cmferrante, Aug 9, 2013.

1. cmferrante

cmferrante Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    When would be "too late" in the season to hatch eggs or get chicks? I was thinking of trying to hatch some of the new eggs my layers are producing, I now have a rooster in there with them. I reserved an incubator at local ag store for tomorrow, tax free weekend. So, should I not try to hatch any for this year? Is now too late? I would be looking for Buff Orpingtons Idealy, but I get so many bluish eggs I'll probably hatch some of those too.

The incubator I am getting is the https://www.backyardchickens.com/pr...lated-air-incubator-with-automatic-egg-turner
    Slightly more expensive locally...but if something is wrong with it i can bring it right back. I like that option.

Can I hatch duck eggs with this model? Can the rails be replaced to do smaller or larger eggs?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It depends on how cold it gets in the fall and winter where you live, and whether or not you have a coop, shed, or some other shelter to keep them warm enough if it does get cold. They will need supplemental heat until they're fully feathered, and maybe beyond depending on how cold it is.

3. cmferrante

Aug 7, 2013
    I have a barn with stalls, heat lamps and all that available. The barn is not heated but I could rig enough lights to keep them warm if need be. I'm thinking It's not unusually cold till after halloween, which would give me 12 weeks, 3 of which would be in the incubator so, 8ish weeks after hatching it will start to get colder.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    They're still pretty small at 8 weeks, but with heat lamps and a draft-free environment, it could work. I know you know to keep the lamps secure and not overload outlets to reduce risk of fire.

5. cmferrante

Aug 7, 2013
    yes. The stalls were all rewired last year for this very reason. Turkeys in one stall, meat birds in another, new laying flock...lots of lights POP! Electrician visit and all is good now.

Any thoughts on hatching duck eggs ? Looking to get some Runner Ducks going and meat duck bread..maybe peking?...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by