When is too young for layer pellets?

jkl79

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Central TX
I have three 12 week old pullets in with 20 wk old pullets (none of them are laying yet). I would like to introduce some layer pellets soon but don't want to harm the 12 wk olds. Would it be harmful to the young ones if I started to mix layer pellets in with the chick feed?

Thanks!

Quote:
My mixer flock started laying a couple of weeks before they were supposed to switch to layng feed.(18th week) I beleave you can keep everyone one the grower feed and put out free choice oyster shell for the ones starting to lay.

I was told to do the same thing with my mixed flock, keep them on grower until the little ones are at least 18wks (or laying), and offer oyster shell free choice.

I have been mixing laying crumble with chick starter so my little ones get the extra protien and the layer benifits also.....hope it is the right thing to do so far everyone seems to be doing fine.....:
gig.gif

Please don't feed layer feed until your pullets are laying!

We made that mistake and lost quite a few pullets, not realizing we were doing in their livers until after the fact.

Pullets cannot process the extra calcium until they are laying eggs.

Actually, this batch of now hens, don't lay as well as any of our other flocks have in the past. These were purchased from the same place and the same breeds that we have had in the past.

Don't know if this had anything to do with the feed but they took forever to start laying, 6 1/2 months.

Last edited:
I've had questions on this for a long time. My friend has 6 chickens and she's been feeding them layer feeds since 8 weeks and started laying at 20 weeks and nothing is wrong with them. I'm tossed up on this idea because mine is 17 weeks and my youngest ones are 10 weeks and I'm just about to go crazy on what to feed.

Back
Top Bottom