When it rains it poors - broody turken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by debilorrah, Oct 20, 2008.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My dumb rear end turken is broody!! I can't think of any other reason why she won't get out of the ONLY NEST MY CHICKENS LAY IN!!!!!! One of the girls grabbed her by the neck and yanked her out today and she went right back in. I have never had a broody hen. What do I do?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Either cage her or give her some baby chicks!

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Really? Cage her? I really don;t want to do that.... I love that stupid puny little bird.

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Give her some eggs. They are great mothers. Or like Mahonri said, put her in a small cage until she's over it. I had to do that with a couple of turkens, and it was a pain but it worked. I put them in a wire cage, inside the coop.

I prefer to just let them hatch babies though! Much more fun.

5. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    nevermind this ? I went to do some research and answered my own ? It can't be done. Okay this is gonna sound silly but here goes how do you know if you have a turken egg? I just got two royal palms don't know much about turkeys but they are in with my chickens. Does Jake mate with a hen or Roo mate with a turkey?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I spent a week trying to break a broody hen... I finally caved...she's got her darn eggs to hatch now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by