1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When it rains it pours! She's the energizer chicken!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bawkbawkbawk, Nov 20, 2009.

1. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

My sweet Buff Orpington just started laying and I can't believe we've gotten three eggs already. I thought she would only lay every other day.

The eggs are getting bigger, too.

[​IMG]

As a new chickenkeeper, I have to say, it's pretty amazing. Almost miraculous.

I love my chickens! [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    For me, the miracle of the egg has never ceased to amaze me. Congrats on your new layer! [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Isn't it amazing! I just love collecting my loot everyday.

4. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Congrats!! There is nothing like getting your first, and second...o and your third....

5. bawkbawkbawk

Exactly! It's absolutely wondrous!

And she lays in exactly the same spot each time - not IN the nesting box but right next to it. I wonder if our nexting boxes are too small for her - they are the standard size but she's a big girl.

Now I can't wait for the other three to start laying!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Do you have some golf balls or other egg-like enticements in the nestbox? Also, have you been there when she's laid her egg? Is it possible a bossier pullet is keeping her out of the nestbox?

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Nah. My big girls fit fine in a 12X12 box.

I bet she went in face first with her tush hanging out. (mine do this a lot, then they turn around while fussing with the shavings) Then when she squeezed the egg out, she didn't have the best aim. She could be in the box, but her tush hanging out of the box.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2009
  8. bawkbawkbawk

I don't think she was in the nest box. You can see a depression in the pine shavings where she laid. I don't mind, really - I'm just happy she chose that counter where everything is clean - they seem to know not to poop up there.

[​IMG]

9. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Hmm, I guess not, from that picture.

I have those same nest boxes. I just added a board across the front of them to keep them from kicking the poo in the boxes. It's working great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by