When it rains it pours...

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I tell you this week has been something else. I have had the experience of two broodies to one chick, one death of sour crop and now I think I have another sour crop. I am sure many of you have seen my previous post about my silkie dying from sour crop and such. Today, I went out and I saw one of my silkies chest feathers on one side were sticking out and overlapping the other side if this makes sense. So I picked her up and lower on one side of her chest there is a large squishy ball. SO I think sour crop. Her breath does not stink as of right now, she is walking and acting like a norma bird, and I saw her drinking water but not food that I saw. Now, I thought maybe I have caught it early enough so that is why she doesn't smell yet. After comfirming on here what to do I put her in a dog crate, crumbles, yogurt with probiotics, and acv in water for her. Do you think I have diagnosed correctly?
I don't understand why all of a sudden. The only thing I can think of is that since the chick has been born which was yesterday I changed the feed over to chick feed and since then I have had one die from it and another now with it. Do you think it is possible this change in feed could have caused it??? Thanks. And sorry it is sooo long.

how old are the chicks? If you are sure it is sour crop there is a good thread about sour crop, I have not dealt with it but I didn't think they died that quickly?are they getting grit?

It is not my chick it was a hen and now another hen. The first hen hadn't shown any signs at all until the last hour or two but she could have had it and I just didn't know. The one know that has it is not showing signs of illness at all but I have been keeping an eye out for it now that one has had it and felt the balloon crop. They have had access to oyster shell and the ground but I think I will provide supplemental grit as well. Thanks for that suggestion.

I tried to get her to puke it up but when it comes up she swallows it back down. After eating the yogurt and some water it has gotten bigger. I am hoping by tomorrow morning it will have gone down some with no food. I don't know what else to do.

Just to let you know, oyster shell is not grit. Oyster shell is too soft to be good for that, it is ground up in the crop and gives them calcium. If they haven't had access to any real grit, that could possibly be your problem. Normally if they have access to the outside they can get enough but I give mine supplimental grit anyway. And they will eat it. Our soil doesn't have gravel in it anyway, it's mainly a sort of clay loam.

I figured they would get some from the ground but obviously it is not enough. Even if this is not the reason for the sour crop it can only help so I have now provided it to everyone. Do you think I should wait on giving her food? Maybe offer something soft and light later this afternoon?

Back
Top Bottom