when it rains...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KelsiNS, Oct 25, 2013.

1. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    Found out my Rosie has avian pox. No biggie, dabbed neosporin on the ugliest ones as a precaution. Well, noticed one of the littles had a bump today.

This prompted a head to toe inspection and subsequent neosporin dab for 41 chickens (16/41 have the sinister first dot of pox. Baaah!)

Well, i figure while im holding them i mighr as well mite check them all. Tiny, almost dust speck white pinpricks moved away from every vent i checked.

Of course, all the pics online are gruesome and waaaay later in the infestation.

My game plan now is an OCD coop cleaning, followed by a run cleaning.

Double checking-sevin-5 dust, under wings and near vent? Can i dust the run and coop, or is that too much on their systems?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, 5% Sevin dust, dusted around their vent and under their wings, is a good idea. I'd dust the coop, but not the run.

3. cheeperchick

cheeperchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You're correct--5% Sevin dust is fine (and very effective) to use. Dust near their vents, under their wings, and underneath the neck feathers. You should also clean the bedding out of the coop, dust it, and then put in fresh bedding. Depending on the size of your run, I would dust that, too.

5. KelsiNS

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    Coop cleaned, double cleaned, and dusted. 41 chickens dusted-which was hilarious. They pretty well got dusted wherever once the first few complained. This led to the run getting dusted too.

I have eaten a half tub of sevin now.

6. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Did you dust your vent? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. KelsiNS

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    My vent, eyebrows, in between my toes....i am mite free anyway!

8. KelsiNS

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    [​IMG] also? This is Michonne. That is a HOLE in her botton beak, almost through . It loojs like half her beak cracked. No idea how the hell she managed it, but i globbed neosporin on it too.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Chickens do sometimes injure their beaks, how they do it I don't know. Does Michonne seem in any pain? As long as she doesn't damage it any more (any idea how it happened in the first place?), it should heal well. Beaks are always growing, both in length and on the surface. The neosporin should help prevent infection.

10. KelsiNS

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    She seems oblivious. I have no idea what happened-it wasnt there yesterday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by