1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When keeping a flock of layers.... POLL

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tnchickenut, Nov 18, 2011.

1. the right waterer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. the right feeder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. the right antibiotic

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. the right wound care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. grit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. oyster shell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. organic feed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. nests

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. books

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    When you are keeping a flock of LAYERS what is the one item you never seem to can find locally?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I have a great local feed store owned and run by native New Englanders. They have everything or can order it if need be. The only thing I haven't been able to find is small quantities of Eprinex. I think you should include wormers/meds in the poll. Those are the only products I really order on-line.

ETA-Include them in with the antibiotics.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    All the stuff is stored on shelves in the coop if I am not using it at the time.

Except the antibiotic which is in a crisper drawer in the fridge. And the brooder stuff which is all disinfected and sitting inside the brooder in the garage waiting to be used next spring.

Oh wait. You mean to purchase? Jeffers has it if the local stores don't and they've got most of it. I order antibiotics and this year I ordered metal nest boxes for the rabbits. Everything else has been purchased locally.

4. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    It's the organic feed for us. All feed sources in the area get the glassy eyed stare when we ask for organic. No one understands why we would want organic. [​IMG]

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Oh yeah. I ordered the new SOP because there is only one place that it can be purchased. I also ordered the thermostat for the incubator, but didn't bother to look to see if I could find it locally. I'll bet one of the pet stores carries it.

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    For me, the hardest thing to find was the wormer I wanted to keep on hand. I didn't see that on your poll, but that's my input. [​IMG]

7. tnchickenut

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    I may be able to edit to add wormer... that is something I should have thought of... I personally hate Wazine

ETA

Sorry... can't change the poll now... but if wormer is your choice... just post it. Thanks for the input everyone... keep it comming

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Yeah, that's why I had a hard time finding what I wanted. I don't like Wazine either and it's available everywhere! Go figure. [​IMG]

9. tnchickenut

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Quote:Yeah, that's why I had a hard time finding what I wanted. I don't like Wazine either and it's available everywhere! Go figure. [​IMG]

Over the years and over 1000's of chickens I have come to really dislike certain waterers and feeders too... like TSC's 1 gallon plastic ones... YUCK! They leak and get nasty around the "seam"

And, yes, wazine is everywhere. Around here, the co-op carries it and the people there know nothing... so asking for something else that would work is pointless. You get the "what are you talking about" stare. LOL

10. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Vaccinations! Forever backordered from factory.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by