When Manchurian quails start to lay eggs ?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by silvia, Aug 18, 2010.

1. silvia

silvia Hatching

Aug 10, 2010
    Hello everyone,

I have two Manchurian quails for some time now and I am still waiting for them to start lay eggs. [​IMG]

I know I got them young, so they should start at some point. They are females for sure [​IMG]

I read all given times standard for most coturnix, also there was one topic for the different types of quails what to expect and still....nothing from these two girls [​IMG]

To be honest, I have no other choice but wait and hope, but still maybe someone from you have personal experience with that!! [​IMG]

I was thinking.... it is possible that the seller maybe lie to me and gave me younger quails, and that's why I gave them additional extra week [​IMG]

Any ideas??

2. secretquail

secretquail Songster

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    well there isn't much you can do but wait... but I have had the same experience with my corturnix. I know they are supposed to start laying after a couple of months, but I think mine like to stay in their childhood for a bit longer. It'll happen, if they are girls!

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The more "exotic" colors take longer to start laying. They will lay in due time, don't worry [​IMG]

4. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Songster

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Mine didn't start laying until they were 7 weeks. I was a little late putting them on gamebird layer feed at 5 weeks.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    They Will Lay When They're Ready And Not A Moment Sooner..... Sorry But Thats The Most Accurate Answer You'll Ever Get On These Guys. I Have Had Them Lay Before 6 Wks Of Age And Others That Didnt Start Until Well After 12wks Of Age. Lotsa Variables Involved In The Equation.

6. aprophet

aprophet Songster

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    No Offense, But You Say They Are Females For Sure? How Do You Know If I May Ask? (sorry But It Just Keeps Naggin Me In The Back Of My Mind)

8. silvia

silvia Hatching

Aug 10, 2010
    Thank you everyone for the answers!!! [​IMG] Really all were helpful and sure enough, there is nothing I could do and they will probably start lay when they are ready.

But for me was really interesting what others experienced, because there is nothing better than personal point of view. [​IMG]

Mine for instance should be now (according to the seller) 58 days old, which is about 8 weeks and something. From what I see, I guess I got the most shy ladies! [​IMG]

No Offense, But You Say They Are Females For Sure? How Do You Know If I May Ask? (sorry But It Just Keeps Naggin Me In The Back Of My Mind)

To be honest, as soon as I start this topic, I start thinking of it, but I am pretty sure because they act like females, at least like the other 5 in the cage. Hard to explain but they don't try to cover any from the other girls, and they don't fight between each other or with the other two males. Just too good to be boys [​IMG]

More important when I got them, I checked their bottom and it was not red and no foam appeared (when squeezed). I don't count on the feathers too much....for some reason, I don't feel too comfy

Could be wrong ... hmmm [​IMG]

9. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Songster

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:To be honest, as soon as I start this topic, I start thinking of it, but I am pretty sure because they act like females, at least like the other 5 in the cage. Hard to explain but they don't try to cover any from the other girls, and they don't fight between each other or with the other two males. Just too good to be boys [​IMG]

More important when I got them, I checked their bottom and it was not red and no foam appeared (when squeezed). I don't count on the feathers too much....for some reason, I don't feel too comfy

Could be wrong ... hmmm [​IMG]

Try feather-sexing the breast feathers

10. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Songster

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    I have pics up on my site: quail.thechickchart.com in the How to Sex section.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: