When Muskovies lay ......?

2468Chickensrgr8

Songster
12 Years
Nov 7, 2007
Ontario
Okay I just read the post about what age a female Musckovy starts to lay eggs ..... and using most of my fingers I have figured out that mine could start laying ...could ......I say as its getting colder here .....All the ducks and geese are relatively the same age
AND I have seen them doing the WILD thing as the Geese let me know .....lol !!!!
Now thats freaking me out ....should I get some boxes ready for them to lay in ?
Should I keep them on lock down ? because they free range during the day and have a coop and yard during the night ...Should I put fake eggs in the boxes ? like one would do with the chickens?
As of now I have a big black plastic barrel stuffed with straw in the duck coop ......should I put more I have about 4 or 5 female duckies and I dont know about the geese yet ...they havnt been doing the " Wild thinhg "....lol....
Thank you

You could put a box in your ducks area and place a few fake eggs in in.. that will draw them to it & usually they will want to lay where there are already eggs. I use enclosed boxes for my Muscovies, but some of them prefer the open-style chicken boxes.

new eggs vibes your way!
fl.gif
wee.gif

Oh thank you thank you thank you !!!!!!
This is bringing back memories of my first chicken eggs ...when I thought all my hens were sterile ....lol.....
another question
when they start doing the " wild thing" would that be a sign that eggs are on there way ? ......I thought they were suppose to do it in/on the pond?....which they have ? ??? but they prefer in the middle of the back yard just to piss off the geese I guess? lol I didnt check to see if you live in a " colder climate" place or not ???.....thanks so much ....

Muscovies don't need water to mate.
smile.png

They MOST LIKELY won't start to lay until next spring. Though they could start. Muscovies are pretty seasonal. They also are not an egg a day layers, but will only lay when they want to start a nest. If you got them for eggs, you will generally be dissapointed unless you have so many hens that you can take eggs from them. Usually if you start taking eggs they stop laying or move the nest to somewhere you can't find it.
smile.png

Quote:
I beg to differ slightly, Muscovy are seasonable according to temperature not the amount of sunlight. Since they are basically subtropical non migrating birds in the wild. All other domestic ducks come from the mallard, because of the migration, egg laying had to fit into the window and was controlled by the amount of daylight. The more they have been domesticated, the more their 'season' has become longer because of man selecting for egg laying ability.
In order to get the most eggs from a muscovy you must steal a few on a regular basis, but leave one or a fake egg in the nest so they don't lose them all or they will either move their nest or quit laying. If you let too many eggs stay in the nest a muscovy is likely to go broody (nobody lays eggs while they are broody) I agree that they are unlikely to start laying now and they are likely to start late in the spring depending upon temperture not the date.

Last edited:
There must be something wrong with all my hens.... everyone came out of molt last week and started dumping eggs like machines! It's been freezing about 2 nights a week here but it doesn't seem to phase them, even my young girls have started laying in this weather.

Last year, my older girls stopped laying in November, molted, then started laying again in January.
roll.png

Thank you everyone .....I just cannot take it anymore I just want to get an egg gggggggg!!!!
I really noticed a difference in all my drakes this morning walking around struting their stuff......thinking they have a chance with me...lol.....Its a beautiful sunny crisp day here ....
Can I use golf balls to put in their nest box like I do for the chickens ?

wee.gif
I have scovy EGGS!!!!!!!
Last night I noticed a couple eggs in a ole rain barrel I put in the duck/geese coop ....had to go get a large spoon to scoop them out
tongue.png
THREE !!! because I couldnt reach that far back and I sure wasnt going to kneel in the hay on the floor....I looked at them all poopy covered and all and did a egg dance and then was thinking maybe it was a chicken that snuck in during the day .....so this morning I have been keeping them locked up and sure enough I have another egggggg !!!!
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
Its flippin' cold here....Are they suppose to lay????

With Poopy eggs should I wash them and put some light coating of oil on them?....to put up for sale?.....

I don't sell my eggs so i dunno about the oil thing... I just wash them good & give them to my brother, he Loves them.

I got 3 eggs this morning again from my girls too
smile.png
Pretty chilly still here!

Back
Top Bottom