When my DH gets home he might faint...darn chicken math

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by IroquoisEgg, Jun 27, 2010.

1. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    OKay we started the chicken idea with 4-5 hens, all laying already. Immediately that became 3 layers, 3 chicks-in our bedroom. Then I went to get feed and came back with 2 more chicks-so cute, Okay he says but no more we just don't have room. I agree. Somehow, 2 White Crested Black polish show up in the brooder hehe...he left friday for the weekend. I went to the feed store to get one light brahma to replace my baby that got snatched by a rat. That 1 turned into 6!! Now we have a total of 20 chickens!! I'm going to be in sooo much trouble. Good thing he thinks I'm cute.

2. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Thats what happened here...started with 6, 3 were roos so wanted more hens...long story short we now have 20 but my DH was the one who kept wanting more.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I started with 6 about 150 years ago(seems like it) & now I have well over 100. [​IMG] Love My Birds! [​IMG]

4. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    LOL! I just read this out loud to my husband, and he was like "Did you preemptively write this?" We agreed on getting 5 chickens, but after learning more about breeds it's now up to at least 8 - and that's if we keep only one of each type. Ah well, it's not like they'll live in the house forever!

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I told my husband that it was "chicken math" and he said "your math is bogus"

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Just like I tell my husband, "Cute doesn't always cut it!!"

7. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Boy, this is a familiar feeling! I already have two coops (one of which is quite large) and still I'm constantly looking around going "Oh, I could use another two or three coops... Perhaps I'll expand the big one as well. Maybe I'll get a bigger dog kennel for the seramas and use this dog kennel for the young birds. I want some hatching eggs of these six breeds... Should probably get a dozen of each in case of bad hatch rates," and so on. Chickens are sure addictive! And here my friends give me a look when I say that as if to say "Sure they are, Kristin, I think that's just you." I try to explain that it isn't just me, that they really are seriously addictive, but to no avail! [​IMG]

I think we all need to attend a course on chicken math to try and get these numbers under control! Even then, though, can one really say no to fuzzy little chicks? [​IMG]

8. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    Quote:thats going to be my excuse everytime!!

My bf is going to be in trouble once we move out. For starters, the 3 (and Im getting 2 more Wednesday, excited!) I have at home are coming with us. And then once I move out of home I'll be buying a Roo ASAP, as well as a pair of ducks, and I'm eyeing off a goose or two, and probably a goat. Oh and I need Quail, cause their so darn cute!

And my version of chicken math
    "I think we should build the coop this big for 2 hens. Hmm, looks a little small, lets add another bit to the run. Wow, theres heaps of space in there! Another Chicken! Hmm.. now thats a bit crowded, we'll make it bigger. Oh, theres plenty of space, lets get some banties too!'

btw, I thought ahead on the last one. The banties are going in a temporary 'coop' tractor thingo, and once everyone moves in together, the sides can be taken off the tractor, and turned into another extension for the run.

But wait.. If I extend the run again, then I can fit more chickens [​IMG]

9. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

we started with 6, now we are at 14, and i predict 20 next spring! lol. btw 4 of them are ducks

10. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Here is my chicken math equation:

Bought three at a pet store, a BR, PR, and an "Ameraucana": +3
    "Ameraucana" turns out to be a leghorn: -1,
    but of course have to keep her, as my three year old picked her out and named her.

Buy a beautiful FCBM, gotta have feathered feet and choclate colored eggs: +1
    BF sees more "Ameraucana"s at a feed store, knows I didn't get one, buys one (at least and EE this time): +1
    EE is a lonely little chick, buy Olive Egger at swap to keep her company, doesn't count: +0
    Guy is giving me a free Blue Ameraucana, a REAL one this time for blue eggs - doesnt count, she's free: +0,

So lets see - 3 -1 = 2; 2 +1 = 3; 3+1 = 4

Hey look, that only adds up to 4! I'm allowed to have 5 in the city - hmm.... which breed should I get now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by