when new chicks meet old hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mc4mcChicken, Mar 17, 2012.

1. mc4mcChicken

mc4mcChicken New Egg

Mar 17, 2012
    We have only been raising laying hens (4 Isa Browns) for 2 years and now it's time to order more chicks. We would like to get some more, but not sure how to assimilate the new flock to the existing flock. We will keep them separate until the newbies get big enough to fend for themselves, but we are wondering how to help everyone adjust as best we can. Suggestions?

2. LuisaD

LuisaD Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    make sure they have plenty of room to get away!!! I introduced them at night, so they couldnt see well and slept together... when they woke up my original flock definitely shower dominance but they weren't nasty, but I have a HUGE coop. My friend lost one of her chickens to a predator so I told her to bring her survivor over... happened to be during the day, they were jerks at first, but 2 weeks later she's best buds with my other hens :)

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Your background story sounds similar to mine, we have laying hens too, and they only last for two years which can be a pain! I'd suggest keeping them separate for a while. When we tried to introduce the chicks, at maybe three weeks old, to the older ones they were chased into a corner and tormented. But once they got a bit bigger and started growing their feathers, the older ones laid off a bit. It takes a few weeks, but eventually peace can be attained. :caf

4. LuisaD

LuisaD Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    I waited til mine were two months before putting them out with the big guys! I have a 7 year old hen that still lays daily... And growing up I brought home chicks, and we had them for 5 years and they never stopped laying... so i know people say they stop laying, but I think that has to be breed specific or luck of the draw..

5. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    a few cups of coffee, some cake, and some polite conversation. HA CHA CHA CHA! :) just kidding. supervised visitation with the adults and chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by