When o When?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fllpunk, Aug 16, 2010.

1. fllpunk

fllpunk Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Gainesville, fl
    So Dalilah by Buff O, is close to 8 months old and hasn't laid an egg yet. She seems happy as a clam as well. Is it a matter of time or is there some coaching I can do with her to help her gift me with an egg? Some one on one time? Counseling? Aromatherapy? Deep Tissue Massages? Bribes?
    Thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    sometimes they take longer... but ususally by 8 months. She is unique! Maybe she has laid an egg you just haven't found it?

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Have you tried showing her the crock pot?? The KFC bucket?? If bribery doesn't work, intimidation just might... [​IMG]

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    8 months seems a bit old to not be laying. Is she hiding them on you? Could something be getting them? Is she a late-blooming rooster?

5. fllpunk

May 23, 2010
    Gainesville, fl
    Hmmm , a cross dressing rooster perhaps!? I'll post a picture of her but she looks like a hen to me! [​IMG]
    I've looked everywhere in the yard and haven't found anything. I guess I could keep her penned up for a few days with her own nesting box and see if she is laying (which would point out to her hiding them).

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Look in the most unlikely places and remember to crawl around on the ground at chicken eye level. I had a hen hide a nest in the forest that I couldn't find until one day I started crawling around on the ground. I found a little dip in the ground at the base of a crooked tree that was completely invisible when looking at it from above. It had 17 eggs in it. [​IMG]

7. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Bah ha ha ha ha ha! Crock pot! [​IMG]

8. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    I'm gonna die if I have to wait that long! Mine are 16wks and I'm already checking for eggs. Too early, I know but one can hope.

9. fllpunk

May 23, 2010
    Gainesville, fl
    AAAAAAAAAAAANDDDDDDDDDDDDDD she laid!!!!! [​IMG]
    2 in 2 days! Go Dalilah!

10. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Was it the crock pot or the KFC bucket that worked LOL!! cograts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by