When oh when????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by juliejohnson805, Jan 11, 2017.

1. juliejohnson805

juliejohnson805 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2016
    Central Alabama
    I have 3 pullets 27 weeks old - 2 Jersey Blacks and 1 Orphington that have not started laying. The Orph will squat for the cockerel but no eggs. Should I be concerned? I'm located in Central Alabama so its not super cold here...

2. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Do you give them supplemental lighting?

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They should start soon. When they sexually mature during fall and winter it can take an extra month or two to start from the average start date, my buff Orpington started at 7 months. The positive about it is that they are often well developed and shouldn't have troubles from maturing too soon.

4. juliejohnson805

juliejohnson805 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2016
    Central Alabama
    I don't do supplemental lighting or heating. I know that my way can slow things down a bit but right now thats okay when I get my egg business established I may do otherwise.
    Thats good to know, as a newbie I am learning that maturity level in chickens is a big thing. Hoping these get started and then my 15 12 week olds will start late Spring just in time for my farmers market days. My younger ones are a mixed group of red sex links, easter eggers, dominques, barred rocks and BO's are any of these breeds in those tend to be substantially later than the others?

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    All your breeds are pretty similar with start dates, your sex links should start first, followed by the rest. My EE and barred rock started before my Orpington.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by